We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax for teenagers

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Halifax for teenagers

I am thinking of taking my group of teenage (15-16-17) Girl Scouts on a cruise to Halifax and St. John's, New Brunswick in June. Can anyone advise me on what attractions/activities would be appropriate for my troop? Thanks!

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax for teenagers

Hello,

You might find the following link from the Halifax Regional Municipality useful. After taking a look at it, please do not hesitate to come back and ask more questions of us.

www.halifaxinfo.com/explore-halifax.php

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax for teenagers

You might also want to take a look at the "Things to do in Halifax" forum.

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax for teenagers

Here are some other useful links.

The Museum of natural History,

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

http://www.agns.gov.ns.ca/

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Greenville, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax for teenagers

Thanks, Aneer. I did use the "Things to do in Halifax" ideas. Loved the shopping suggestions -- sounds like Freak Lunchbox is a must. I also plan to check out The Coast's summer guide. The cruise info and travel books make the destinations seem so sedate....I just don't know if the standard outings are right for teens.

Greenville, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax for teenagers

I also thought that the cemeteries with graves from the Titanic would be a good follow-up to visiting the museum. I liked the suggestion of the Dartmouth ferry for a harbor tour (we are on a budget). Do you think my ideas are on target? Thanks.

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax for teenagers

Hi Cricket,

Which outings were you worried about being appropriate for teens?

Overall, It seems that you have researched your trip will and that you will enjoy Halifax and your cruise.

Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax for teenagers

A really fun idea for that age group would be a haunted tour of Halifax, which isn't too difficult to do on one's own. There are a number of historical sites, legends and mysteries throughout Halifax, and a lot of the sites are within walking distance of one another.

1. Citadel Hill - This is a fortress that sits above the city, and though you'll have to pay to get in, it is well worth it. It's got lots of creepy (but safe) tunnels and interactive exhibits, picnic space, etc. Plus you can watch the noon-day gun demonstration and the girls will get a kick out of the handsome, period-costumed soldiers. You can take some amazing pictures from the top of the fortress.

2. Point Pleasant Park - This is in the south end of the city, and is great for hiking during the day time hours. It's free, and the architecture in its surrounding area is beautiful.

3. Halifax-Dartmouth Ferry - You had mentioned this and I think that it's a great, inexpensive way to do a harbour tour. Keep in mind it's only about 10 minutes to cross each way though. A fun idea might be to cross over to Dartmouth in the late afternoon, enjoy a picnic supper on the waterfront and take some great pictures of the Halifax skyline. There is also a Peace Pavilion on the Dartmouth waterfront that showcases rocks and different items from all over the world, including a piece of the Berlin wall - in an effort to show Canada's committment to peace keeping.

Twilight is a great time to take the ferry back to Halifax, when the girls will be able to see the lights of the city and all the boats in the harbour, as well as the lighthouses on George's and McNabs islands. It's easy to imagine the old ships in the harbour a hundred years ago. If they look towards the two bridges, that's called The Narrows, and that's precisely where the Halifax Explosion took place. (More about it coming up)

4. If you're in Halifax during the afternoon, make sure to take them to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (on the waterfront), where they'll learn all about the Halifax Explosion and Halifax's role after the Titanic disaster. After this take them to the Titanic graveyard in Fairview, if you're able. There is a grave marked J. Dawson, which some people decided must have belonged to Leonardo's fictional character!

5. Continuing on the Halifax Explosion lesson, if you take the girls through the Grand Parade (across from Freak Lunchbox) and up to Argyle St., then turn left and walk down Argyle St. until you're standing beside St. Paul's church, you can show them one of our most enduring ghosts. On the 2nd or 3rd window in from the left there is the prominent profile of a man's face, darkened in the glass. It's said to match the profile of the church's minister during the Halifax Explosion (the glass having been blown out of the window and the minister having died) and they've tried to replace this glass countless times but the image always returns.

6. Continue down Argyle until you reach Blowers' St. The girls will enjoy the clothing shops and Pizza Corner (3 pizza places that have been there since the dawn of man). They have to try donairs - a lebanese dish introduced on this VERY corner in the 1970s. Donairs consist of spicy beef wrapped in a warm pita with a delicious sauce - the ingredients of which you don't want to know! (haha). They can check out The Black Market which has all kinds of inexpensive Indian jewellery and clothing, as well as some great, funky locally produced items.

7. Continue on Grafton St. until you reach Spring Garden Road, turn left and look up. This is the steeple of St. Mary's Basilica - the highest granite steeple in the world. You can go in and take a look at the church, it should be open.

8. Then head back UP Spring Garden Road and soon you are in teenage girl heaven - shops and food! Walk up as far as the Public Gardens and enjoy the walkways throughout the gardens and the local artisans with works for sale along the exterior fence.

Phew...I've exhausted myself. I hope that gives you some inexpensive ideas of things to do in Halifax!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax for teenagers

As a proud New Brunswicker and a former resident of Newfoundland, I have to point out that St. John's is in Newfoundland, Saint John is in New Brunswick. Both cities are scenic and historic, but they're definitely not the same place!.

9. Re: Halifax for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Halifax