We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

Hello everyone,

I am planning another summer trip to glorious Nova Scotia. I have visited before and to the extent that I was disappointed it was due to lack of upscale accommodations and good food. Last trip I stumbled on Trout Point Lodge. My entire family enjoyed it. It is a place and experience that truly reflects time and place. We like those kind of things especially for vacation- we try to escape the wall marts of the world. We search for authenticity. That is essentially why we keep going back to Nova Scotia.

Might there be any other high quality uniquely Nova Scotia places anyone might recommend around the province? No cookie cutter hotels or restaurants please!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

We have had nothing but positive reviews concerning " Quarterdeck Villa's and Restaurant", on Trip Advisory. Check them out for yourself if you haven't done so already.

I stay there every year ( and no, I do not know the management personally)

Yes, it is on the Lighthouse Route, and traffic does flow by to the front of the accomodation but the beach and the immenities are all to the rear and pose no problem whatsoever to those relaxing and enjoying on Summerville Beach.

I have recommended Quarterdeck to many of my landlocked travelling friends over the years and not 1 has ever been dissappointed, actually quite to the contrary, they have cancelled reservations elsewhere and extended their stay at Quarterdeck.

For rustic accomodations I would recommend Trout Point, Mersey River Chalets and The Lightkeepers House at Cape d'Or.

Each to their own I suppose...

blondie ***

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

Blondie,

Let me first say I believe you do a fine job here. You do a lot to excite people/readers in Nova Scotia as a tourist destination, and I can tell that your enthusiasm is legitimate. Let me apologize if I have ever given you any other impression or if I might have offened you.

However Blondie I disagree with your assesment of Quarte Deck and other places. That is ok, it is healthy in all situations to have a diversity of opinions, which often results in a difference of opinions.

No doubt our readers are like us, diverse. Hopefuly this difference in opinions will result in a richer experience at Trip Advisor for our readres and in our reader/users vacations.

I have traveled around the World at least three times. I spend much of every year traveling. I know industry standards. Furthermore, I am speaking from personal experienece, I have stayed at Quarter Deck .No I didn't write a review. There was no reason to be vitriolic. Nothing was bad, however I should have listened to my first instinct which told me that a hotel and beach literally feet away from the highway doesn't feel right. It lacked a feeling of intimacy and privacy. I did not like leaving my room and seeing the highway, nor did I like the bought furnishings of the place. The decorators could have made more effort to decoate the place in a non-institutional manner. I admit here that I am not a motel lover. You know where I stand. In my opinion it was too motelish (nice motel, nonethless a kind of motel). Maybe I am a bit of a snob but there you have it.

As far as the food goes, I cannot remember a thing about my meals I ate there! What does that say? You can assume what you like.

I would avoid staying at Quarter Deck again. I could also speak for others here in this forum who I know have agreed with my assesment of Quarter Deck but it more legitamte to let them speak for themselves should they decide to do so.

I never intended to Trash Quater Deck but you pushed the point. There are all kinds of flaws a tourist accommodation can have other than the obvious ones often talked abou here. Some faults not frequently mentioned here are , lack of: intimacy, privacy, authenticity, charm, charater, peace and solitude, too commercial, failure of concept, pretentiousness, etc..

You have also recommend places I would prefer not to return too. I do understand that there are no doubt many people who would like your suggestions. As there are all kinds of tourist out there and for those who might be like me, I would like to make a difference by helping provide them with information which may help them evaluate their vacation options. I have a right to express my opinion, I think! I read the forums and I see the same places repeatedly recommened. There are other types of places in the province. My aim is to highlight them.

The point here is to educate without disparaging. I believe that in the accommodation review section if you don't have a truly bad or wonderful experience better to not say anything. Dissappointments in Travel are often the result of differences of taste, and our own failure to adequately research the places where we stayed. It is makes for a nicer world when do not blame the world for our dissappointements and expect that others should be responsible for our own failures.

As far as Trout Point and Mersey River Chalets go, that I like them both doesn't make them the same experiences. Both share a common feature which for me is important in a vacation experience- AUTHENTICITY.

True both are rustic, Mersey River reminds me of my childhood camp days. Trout Point is Luxuriantly rustic, Adult Camp, something more akin to what the elites of New York ( People like the Rockefellers) created in the Adirondacks almost a century ago.

We should be careful about the choice of terms we use here in the forums and to avoid possible confusion here, we should define terms when ever confusion is possible. Case in point the term rustic.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

Yes anneer"

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and I welcome you and your contributions to this forum .. absolutly..

I have long wished for further opinions and feedback on many posts. It's obvious already however that we do not share the same tastes and I do hope that this will not cause confusion to our posters when it comes to our varying recommendations and opinions.

It has always been my wish to offer friendly, helpful, and truthful advice to any post I feel able to contribute too at the time.

I will continue to do so of course.

I live here and love the area and I obtain lots of first hand knowledge by visiting the places I recommend and listening and talking to people WHEREVER I go....... that's just easy for me to do.

Yes, you could say that I am enthusiastic..!!

That would certainly be true.

Look forward to your posts on the forum,

blondie ***

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

choice of terms ??

I think I do already provide good defination of the accomodations /

restaurants etc.

we will have to agree to disagree on that.

15. Re: Stayed at Trout Point, would like to find similar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Halifax