We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia in August

glasgow
4 posts
Save Topic
Nova Scotia in August

Am thinking about a family holiday in N.S this August - will be travelling from Scotland.

We dont want to spend most of the time travelling about with overnight stops etc - idea is to base ourselves in same place or may be two centres for a week each. Then just do day trips to historic sights (for me) shopping (for teenage daughter) and decent meals/antique or craft shops etc (for my wife)

Any ideas/recommendations on where we should be based and possibly hotels/lodges etc? Cost is not a huge issue

many thanks

Mac

1. Re: Nova Scotia in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:09 am, February 13, 2007
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia in August

Hello mac. Welcome to this forum. I think Halifax should be one of your centres. We have historic sights, shopping and craft shops, and good restaurants. For some idea of what's on offer, take a look at the 'Halifax attractions' and 'Things to do in Halifax' threads. We're also a good base for day trips to Peggy's Cover, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, the Annapolis Valley, and several beaches. Have you got a copy of the'Doers and Dreamers' guide yet? If not, it's free and you can order it here: www.novascotia.com:80/en/home/default.aspx

Please keep posting and asking questions. We love to help!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia in August

Hello macc"

August is a lovely time to visit us here.

Two base points are a good idea. I personally would much prefer that too jumping around every few days. Would 1 accomodation be suitable on Mainland Nova Scotia and the next week on Cape Breton Island ? I'm not sure by your post if you wish to include CBI while visiting here. Perhaps you could advise...

Would a seaside or cove cottage be something that interests you ?

Are you looking for privacy or is that not a big concern ?

Would you be interested in a resort type place with many immenities ? Perhaps a suite or a chalet ?

I have a few to recommend once I have a better idea what type of accomodation would suit your family the best.

regards,

blondie **

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nova Scotia in August

I forgot to mention that Zoom flies from Glasgow to Halifax. I've been happy with their flights. Leg room is a bit tight in steerage, so it's worth paying for the upgrade. Whatever airline you decide to fly, don't be lulled into a flight with a change in Toronto. (This happened to Welsh friends of mine.) Coming to Halifax via Toronto adds 6 - 7 hours to the trip.

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nova Scotia in August

August is perhaps the best month of the year to visit Nova Scotia.

The climate is great, most of the bugs are gone(except no-seeums along the coast). Head South if you get a chance. It is perhaps the wildest and most overlooked part of the province. Last year I used Trout Point Lodge as a base to visit the Digby area and do whale watching, Yarmouth and Shelburne are all nearby. The French shore around Methegan is definetly worth a visit.

6. Re: Nova Scotia in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:09 am, February 13, 2007
glasgow
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nova Scotia in August

Tried a reply earlier but it seemed to disappear .

Thanks to Andi and all other replies.Will try and firm up plans over next few days.

Have no firm preference re location tho nice view etc always a bonus.

Had seen Trout Point but not sure how to sell lack of TV to teenager!

Need to think about privacy v's resort etc but main priority would be its good standard

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nova Scotia in August

No TV at Trout Point? I think that's a good thing--the teenagers I saw two summers ago liked the swimming in the river, the hot tub, and the kayaks (and the bonfire after dinner).

I'm not sure what was the question in the last paragraph of the last post, though if you want seclusion and privacy for a family, they have a two-bedroom house as well--just downstream from the main lodge.

Kent, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Nova Scotia in August

Hi macc38, just to let you know that my posts where removed because of trying to advertise. But if you need any help let me know. Andi

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nova Scotia in August

...Hello Macc

I agree with Bedlace on zoom....I moved from Scotland to Halifax oh...about 13 years ago now...(I am originally from Canada, but ex-hubby is from Scotland). My kids grand-parents come every year for a month or so from Brige of Weir and fly mostly Zoom. They always have specials on for 199.00 Cdn each way. they fly out of Glasgow. so super handy.

I agree with previous advice on making Halifax area one of your locations to do trips from. august is a great time to come too, as our ocean is a wee bit warmer then for swimming...a wee bit mind.

You have to get up to Cape Breton for a few days at least. It is a beautiful drive along the trails....looks like the highlands! There is a resort up there and your kids would probably like it.

There are tons of nice cottages here, you have to book well in advance to the really nice spots, but it is definately do-able. From Halifax, area you can get to most spots...the valley, Lunenburg, etc in one to two hours.

Do you want a beach vacation, museuems, camping, events and festivals....we have a busketfest here in august that the teens and small ones too would enjoy...lots going on in the city when Busketfest is here.

Anyways, happy planning....the advice from Bedlace and Blondie on the Doers and Dreamers book is a good one....then you can pick the events or areas that appeal to you and plan around that.

call our country code....can't remember what it is anymore and have Nova Scotia mail it out to you....1-800-565-0000 or go on-line to order http://www.destination-ns.com/default.asp

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Halifax