We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

Halifax
4 posts
Save Topic
Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

I've been setting up small group meetings in the different regions of NS over the last six months. And when in Sydney recently, I had the catering done by the Bean Bank Cafe on Charlotte Street. I experienced sticker shock to the extreme when I rec'd the bill - over double the price of any other caterer from which I had ordered.

On the phone the cook and the owner (sisters I believe) have a wonderful demeanor and really promote their product (no processed meats used, etc.). However, the owner did not provide any suggestions and, I think as she knew her menu, took advantage of the situation (fleece out-of-towners?).

I said I needed sandwiches for 15 people. She asked if I wanted them cut/quartered and put on a tray. I said yes, that sounded fine. Then I proceeded to order sweets and beverages for the group.

Now with other caterers when I say I need sandwiches for x people they say fine, we will do a sandwich tray for you. This owner instead of charging me $40 for their large sandwich tray and $20 for their small sandwich tray (which according to their pamphlet which I rec'd with my bill, serves 12 and 6 respectively) charged me a whopping $8 per sandwich!

According to their takeout menu they charge $7.99 per sandwich - I paid $120 for 15 regular sandwiches.

I fail to see the difference btwn a sandwich tray and whole sandwiches quartered and put on a tray.

Pls know this was NOT a fancy tray of sandwiches with smoked salmon, capers, etc. It was run-of-the-mill chicken salad, roast beef, vegetarian, etc. Not even a wrap in sight! No other condiments (pickles, etc.).

In fact the sandwiches were a bit dry, and were the type where all the meat is in the middle (not bulging) so if you have a quarter of a sandwich after 3 bites of the middle, you're just eating bread and lettuce.

Had they charged me for their sandwich trays, they still would have been 25% more expensive than the average caterer, but I wouldn't have thought anything of it given the perceived quality when ordering.

On the plus side, their dessert tray, made up of one-bite morsels and heartier shortbread cookies, was fabulous!

(A phone call to the owner the day after did nothing to resolve this.)

So if you need catering done beware. I've learnt my lesson for next time with them, but in reality after the bad taste left in my mouth I'll probably never patronize them again. Too bad as I always try to buy from local owner-operators (non-franchise) when I can. Caveat emptor - definitely!! At least now you're warned.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

Very sorry to hear that you paid through the nose for your order. I always have to order sweet trays & sandwich trays throughout the year. It would be nice to order local but I just always go to Sobeys. They have beautiful sandwich, sweet, and fruit trays. The Bean Bank is a little on the expensive side and sometimes more money doesnt mean better tasting/quality. They do have great specialty coffees. If you come to Sydney again try The Cedars Club or the Cape Bretoner Restaurant and lounge.

Halifax
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

proudcaper: thx a mint for the tips - I do go to Sydney and CB for travel and pleasure & will be sure to bring those names with me next time. And, Sobey's does sound like a good option!

Enjoy-la!

sydney
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

buddy, ya just dont know what youre talkin about. Never have I heard anyone complain about the taste of the food at the Bean Bank, and I am there fairly often. From what i got outta your post you only buy local if its in your best interest...or at least your pocket books best interest. Makes a lot of sense eh? people buy local so they can support their local business, and the Bean Bank doesnt do as bad of a job as you say. Just thought i'd say that i disagree with your post and my dealings with the Bean Bank has never been anything but a pleasure in every way.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

Each to their own local punker"

We are all about expressing our own opinions here...

Thnaks for your contribution......

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

I have never been to the Bean Bank Cafe, but if you need catering services try the Miners Village restaurant in Glace Bay, about 20 min from Sydney. Or you could try the Meridian Hotel Dining Room or the Cape Bretoner Restaurant.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

I'm reporting now from the Bean Bank cafe... and am enjoying the service and environment. I come here often when we dock in Sydney, and continue to enjoy this location.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

local_punker

sydney

Forum posts: 1

1 post and from Sydney... what do you think?

Bean Bank owner, friend or family member?

...I'm just sayin'

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

Yeah for sure agreed... it's pretty easy to see the pattern isn't it ?

Doesn't fool any of us...

sydney
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

I think the whole point is that this person tried to buy local and was raped in the prices. Yes price does matter. A coffee is pennies to make yet the prices are above and beyond what one would pay at a restaurant or even Robins or Tims. Last time i checked coffee is pennies a cup so why the inflated price. To be honest i had a better cup of java at Mcdonalds lately.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bean Bank Cafe - Left a Bad Taste...

The Bean Bank is a common stop for my wife and I when we come to town to visit her family. I am a coffee junkie who loves a great cup of coffee, but while I have never ordered a tray of sandwiches, the Bean Bank always satisfies my Coffee Tooth. I have even bought coffee beans from these fine folks to enjoy their brew at home. I am a big fan of the Bean Bank! Highly Recommended!

Get answers to your questions about Sydney