We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide in Sydney

Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Tour guide in Sydney

My group (three couples) took a cruise which was to stop in Sydney. We booked with Tartan Tours and put up a $210 deposit (which was required to be made by money order). The ship could not dock due to bad weather. We requested a refund and were told there would be an administrative charge. Tartan Tours did not refund any $ and now refuses to communicate by phone or e mail.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Suggest filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Nova Scotia at: www.maritimeprovincesbbb.org. You didn't mention how long ago this happened. Since word of mouth is also the best publicity, you could also write a letter to the editor of the provincial paper at letters@herald.ca.

Halifax
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, my name is Fiona and I work with NS Tourism.

If you would like to message me privately with details about the situation, I can pass this forward this information to the appropriate person at the department.

Thank you

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Were you anchored in the Harbour or you did not come into the harbour at all???. I would say that if you were anchored in the harbour and you just didnt want to take the little transport boat in with the bad weather, I would say that you wont get your money back UNLESS there is something written in the contract that states money back due to bad weather. If you did not even come into Sydney...you should get your momney back and take action against them for sure.

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

We did not anchor, we bypassed Sydney.

Thanks

PopTexas

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Thank you for your suggestion. Our trip was last fall (2009).

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Thank you for your offer, can you provide me with an e mail address?

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

I personally think you should get your money back then. This was beyond your control. I would say that was poor customer service on their part. After hearing your story, I wont recommend them. P.S I hope you get your money back.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

PopTexas

To email FionaInNovaScotia, click on her name..when the screen shows all her contributions, etc, down in the left hand corner you will see a section that says 'send message". That is how you send a private email.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out with a refund

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

This is plain awful . I can understand an"administration charge" but when the cancel was because the ship couldn't dock, then that clearly was beyond your control.

As a person who operates a tourism business in NS and on Cape Breton Island, it makes me boil when I hear stories like this, simply because we all know that bad experience stories travel fast .

If you want to send me a private message I'll get in touch to see what we can do as clearly this company is not helping our image , and I would think that some one regulates who gets to pick up passengers on those docks and they too may be interested in your problem.

cape breton
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour guide in Sydney

Im just curious but how much time was given by the ship to sail passed sydney, usually the ship doesnt give any advance time when they cancel i am a local crafter in sydney... usually the boats cancell at 7 or 8 am the morning of,.....and i have been their to see this because they didnt even tell us and we all showed up and were told then. If you were do to arrive at 8am when did the ship cancell and what was your pick up time to do your trip?