We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

Hi All,

I have read many postings on Cape Breton Island - thank you for all the information! We are (husband and I) coming out east August 1-17th - but part of the time will be with relatives in Chester NS. From there, we would like to visit Cape Breton Island. Should we make the trip all in one day? From what I've read, I'm thinking to stay in Sydney for 2 days, and to do the Cabot trail for 2 days - but I think it said to do the trip clockwise - how would you recommend? Love the suggestions of places on the water to stay. We would also like to see Bird Island - not sure where that goes from? Thanks in advance!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

Muriel,

Chester to Sydney (via Hwy 104/4 on Cape Breton Island) is about 5 1/2 hours of driving. I would recommend doing it in the one day. I have done the Cabot Trail many times in both directions and honestly find no difference. What I typically recommend to our B&B guests is to do the Cabot Trail either when you enter Cape Breton or when you leave. On entering the Island I would recommend taking Hwy 19 then 219 along the coast up to Cheticamp, then joining up with the Cabot Trail and doing it clockwise. If you do the cabot Trail when leaving the Island, just do the reverse. If you told me the dates of travel, I would recommend a plan that would incorporate some of the great Cape Breton entertainment as well. The Bird Island Boat Tour is very good - awesome actually.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

Thanks! We will be driving from Halifax on August 4th - then Cape Breton for 4-5 days, then over to PEI for 4 days. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

Muriel,

I would recommend something like this:

Monday 04 Aug - Drive from Halifax to Sydney. Driving time from Halifax is 4 1/2 hours, from Chester under 5 1/2. This is the start of Sydney Action days so there will be some local entertainment in Sydney.

Tuesday 05 Aug - Visit the Miner's Museum in Glace bay in the AM then Fortress Louisbourg in the PM. Have dinner in the Town of Louisbourg and then go to the show "Spirit of the Island" at the Louisbourg Playhouse from 8-10. Stay in Sydney for the night.

Wednesday 06 Aug - Leave Sydney heading towards the Cabot Trail with the aim of staying somewhere like Ingonish or Cape North for the evening. Do the Bird Island Boat Tour (www.birdisland.net)in the AM. It leaves out of Big Bras d'Or about 30 minutes from Sydney and puffins are guaranteed until mid/late August. After the puffin tour, you may (depending on your interests) want to drop into Baddeck to visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. It is an excellent museum and you would likely end up spending about 1 1/2 hours there. Head around the Cabot Trail and stay either in the Ingonish area or in Cape North for the evening. I would recommend Oakwood Manor B&B in Cape North, but if you don't mind rustic accommodations and really want to stay somewhere on the water, try Two Tittle B&B in White Point.

Thursday 07 Aug - Continue around the Cabot Trail aiming to stay in Inverness for the night. You may want to do a whale watching tour out of Pleasant Bay. Many of our guests have used captain Mark's Whale and sea Cruise and have been very satisfied. They guarantee and have about a 98% success rate. If you want to do a hike, the Skyline Trail between Pleasant Bay and Cheticamp is spectacular. Last week one of our guests saw 9 moose on the Skyline Trail. You should stop and browse in Cheticamp. There is an excellent display of Cheticamp rug hooking at the Museum/Visitors Centre Les Trois Pignons at the north end of Cheticamp. Spend the evening in Inverness. I have recommended this for Thursday night as you can then catch the local ceilidh at the Inverness Firehall. It is a great show and a real good introduction to the strong Gaelic culture on this side of the Island. I would recommend staying at MacLeod Inn or , if you can get a waterfront cottage at Inverness Beach Village (www.macleods.com)

Friday 08 Aug - head to PEI

Hope this has given you some food for thought.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

WOW! Thank you!! I have emailed some folks, and am waiting to hear back - thanks! I'll let you know how I make out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

For what it's worth, we spent three hours at the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and felt rushed. Loved it! We were in Louisburg for 4 - 5 hours and felt we didn't see half of it and could have gone back the next day if we had time. Fortress Louisburg is amazing - not to be missed. Definatly the highlight of our Maritime trip.

6. Re: Advise on Cape Breton Island, and PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 05, 2009