We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinerary

Hi everyone,

We are driving from St Andrews NB and will be spending around 4 days in Cape Breton en route to PEI. I have done my research and booked our accommodations. Now I just need help and suggestions to figure out what works into our itinerary and when.

First of all, we are 2 adults, 2 boys 11 and 14 and a golden retriever. We want to spend as little time in the car as possible considering the drive we will have just done, and the rest of the drive still to come. We want to do some hiking (can leave dog in our room if it's a trail he is not allowed on, but he is also a great dog and comes with leash and poop bags:) so he's good to go on any hikes that are fit for him. We are traveling the last couple of days of June and first couple of days of July (does anyone know if lobster season ends at the end of June or if it continues into July at all?)

We were hoping to fit in Baddeck (Bell museum) and Fortress of Louisburg (specifically the Beggars Banquet if it is still offered), but I really don't know how to fit it all in, so they may have to be missed??

We are staying our first two nights in Ingonish at the Keltic Lodge and our third night at the Island Sunset resort near Margaree (about half an hr from Cheticamp). Could possibly book one more night somewhere.

While staying in Ingonish here is what I THINK makes sense to see/do based on research and other recommendations: White Point, Niels Harbour, Uisge Ban Falls, Warren Lake, MaryAnn Falls, MacIntosh Brook Trail, Middlehead Trail. Heard that Seascape is a good place to eat in Ingonish. Open to ALL suggestions on plan of attack, or if this is too much. As well.. what did I miss that we should do around here?

Then, as we loop around and stay in Margaree, here is what I thought made sense to do around that side: Pleasant Bay (and we heard The Rusty Anchor is good for food), Skyline trail (no dog), red shoe pub in Inverness, Cheticamp (at sunset??), Normaway Inn for music? We would LOVE to do salmon fishing or fish hatchery.

Am I crazy? Too much? Suggestions?? Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary

are you sure you can leave your dog in the room...most dog friendly hotels that i know of do not allow you to leave them in the room unattended.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary

Least of my worries at this point. We can certainly adjust our plans if we can't leave the dog. More concerned with the itinerary itself. Thanks for the heads up:)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary

The trouble is you have already booked your accommodations. You will be doing a lot of driving back and forth on the hilly, twisty Cabot Trail. You would be better off staying at least one night somewhere near Baddeck (Louisbourg, Bell Museum, Uisage Ban Falls), one night in Ingonish and one night on the west coast. That way you can do and see things as you go around the trail.

The Red Shoe Pub is in Mabou by the way.

http://goo.gl/maps/1kjmu

Edited: 9:00 am, March 26, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary

accommodations can still be changed without penalty, depending on availability. Are many of the things I wrote above not near either Ingonish or Maragree? I did look into The Alexander Graham Bell Museum however it will ONLY be open on our last day (July 2) so we were thinking it was something we could see on our way out.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary

You have not said when you are coming. Is it when things are fully open in July and August or is it before that?

The Bell Museum and Uisge Ban Falls are near Baddeck. You can also easily get to Louisbourg from there. You could also consider a visit to Iona and the Highland Village Museum.

It is quite a drive from there to Ingonish and back - three hours without traffic or stopping at a minimum. To do this two days in a row does not make sense. http://goo.gl/maps/qYhxf

You need a most of a day to see Iona and Louisbourg and another day for the Bell Museum and your hike to the falls. http://goo.gl/maps/boufk

If you need this to be at the end, then you should drive the Cabot Trail in the other direction (clockwise).

You may not be able to go to White Point, Maryann Falls and Warren Lake in one day. I have not been to any of these so I hope others can help here.

Edited: 11:08 am, March 26, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary

As mentioned above, we will be there the last couple of days in June and first couple of days in July. For time's sake, we have decided to not do Lousburg for sure, and probably not Bell either. We DO want to do the miners museum, which I think is in or near Syndey, so maybe still Bedeck is still the best jumping spot. My husband is also keen to see some of Bras D'Or lake which he has discovered we could do by sailing charter outside of Bedeck as well. So... perhaps it makes sense to do Bedeck the first day we arrive, and then move on to Ingonish area and then on to Maragree/Cheticamp area. Does this make more sense? Is Bedeck also a good jumping spot for Uisge Ban Falls? My husband is wondering if Silver Dart Lodge is a good option for Bedeck accommodations of we add that night.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with itinerary

Yes that plan makes more sense. The Miner's Museum is in Glace Bay which is easily reachable from Baddeck. Uisge Ban Falls are near Baddeck. www.visitbaddeck.com/adventure/bahn.html

The drive I showed you which goes around part of the Bras d"or Lakes through Iona is very scenic. Here it is with Glace Bay instead of Louisbourg. http://goo.gl/maps/bZSZS

Louisbourg in July is a very special place and would be a fun and educational experience for your sons. cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/louisbourg-na…

For reviews of places to stay you can go here:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g499213-Baddeck_Cape_B…

8. Re: help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island