We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle trip - help please

boston
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bicycle trip - help please

Hi,

I am considering a bicycle trip to CBI or Nova Scotia this summer (mid to late Aug). It would be myself, wife and 2 small kids.

Here is the dilema, do i take the CAT and save some money and go with just the bicycles and either accept that i will be only able to explore the Lighthouse route or Evangeline Trail area. Or, do i take our car, enjoy the drive up to CBI and explore up there on our bicycles? (thats going to be a pricy option).

I would do the Yarmouth area on bicycle only if you thought there was enought to explore in that area that had either bicycle trails or at least very quiet country roads where we could get away from it all and enjoy that part of Nova Scotia?

I guess the one other option would be another boat trip with bicycles from Yarmouth up to CBI, does that exist??

Finally, as beautiful as CBI appears to be, is it geared up to be explored on bicycels??

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle trip - help please

If you're thinking of crossing with just the bicycles - how much distance can you cover a day, and how many days do you have? If you are thinking of the Lighthouse route, distance between Yarmouth and Lunenburg is 142 miles. For the Annapolis Valley, distance between Yarmouth and Annapolis Royal is 83 miles. Personally I think you'd be missing out on quite a few interesting places if you just stayed in the Yarmouth area.

As for Cape Breton, if you were considering biking the Cabot trail, you need to like big hills!! Definitely not for small kids. But if you go by car you can always try and find shorter trips (some ideas on www.northeasthighlands.com/todo/cycling.htm - still hilly!) The Cape Breton Highland National Parc is more known for its hiking trails (they might have a couple of mountain biking trails). Here are more trail maps province-wide for you : …gov.ns.ca/SharedUse/Images/shared_index.html

Have a good active vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
2. Re: Bicycle trip - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, August 12, 2009