We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights to stay

Arden, DE
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 nights to stay

We only have four nights to stay on CB and are planning 2 in Baddeck. We can't decide if we should choose one other place for two nights or split our two remaining days between to other towns.

We're thinking of Ingonish or Sydney/Louisberg. Any suggestions? Also--would Iona be a good alternative to Baddeck? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ingonish
Ingonish
Iona
Iona
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights to stay

I personally would stay only 1 day in each spot. That way you can really see all corners of the Island. One in Louisbourg and visit The Fortress, Lighthouse Point and Kennington Cove Beach while you are there. One in Baddeck and visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, maybe take in a ceilidh(fiddle music and dance), and some r&r. One in Ingonish and have a round of golf at the Highland Links, take the ski lift up Cape Smokey for the view,and spend the day at the beach. Then if you want Start travelling around the Highlands National Park and make your way to Cheticamp. While you are there for your last day be sure to have a whale watch tour and have some fresh seafood or an Acadien dish. As for Iona, if you want peace and quiet with not too much to do unless you visit the Highland Village Museum. In my opinion, stick with Baddeck. I hope this helps a little. Also, if you like it a little more lively than quiet, then come to Sydney and make your day trips from here. Easy 1 hour drive to Baddeck, even easier 20 min. drive to the Fortress of Louisbourg, 2 1/2 hours to Cheticamp, and 2 1/2 hours to Ingonish. Have a great trip and be sure to take pictures and post back here when you arrive home to let us know what you liked and didnt like.

Mentioned in this post
Louisbourg
Louisbourg
Baddeck
Baddeck
Ingonish
Ingonish
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Iona
Iona
Arden, DE
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights to stay

Thank you Proudcaper. I value your insights and aprreciate your other postings as well. Beejie

Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights to stay

We also have 4 days in Cape Bretton. I would love some feedback if this is a feasible itinerary. First day out of Halifax we drive up the east coast toward Sydney and possibly do the fort at Louisberg. Stay the first night at The Dunlop Inn in Baddeck in the Heuser Room Unfortunately the May Bell room wasn't available :(

Then we head off to the Keltic Inn in the Ingonish area and enjoy the hiking, whale watching etc for 2 nights. We were hoping to stay in Cheticamp as someone had suggested, however we couldn't find suitable accomodations there.(Lookiing for a romantic setting) Should we skip the Keltic and keep searching in Cheticamp? We have one more night but aren't sure where to go or where to stay. We must end up back in Halifax for the night as we have an early flight out. Thank you so much for the advise. It is so great to hear from those who have been there and know the ins and outs of the Maritimes! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Ingonish
Ingonish
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights to stay

Hi Frankie,

I do not think the Heuser room in the Dunlop Inn is a good choice. I think you will have a view of the gas station opposite to the Inn. The Inn is located on the busy main street of Baddeck. I would think only the Lighthouse Room may be acceptable.

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights to stay

Thanks for the heads up on the Heuser room. Any suggestions about where else we could stay in Baddeck? Also, what do you think about 2 nights at the Keltic in Ignonish verses 2 nights over by Cheticamp in the Island Sunset Resort and Spa. We want to do some whale watching and hike a little of the area and we only have 4 days. Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights to stay

In Baddeck we ´ve stayed at www.thewatersedgeinn.com and liked it very much. Our stay was in fall though. The Inn is located right across the Marina with a view of the famous lighthouse. It may be a little more crowded in summer than it was in fall. In case you decide to stay there take a room with a balcony, the views are lovely! In Ingonish we stayed at www.lanternhillandhollow.com and loved it. The Beachcomber cottage is the most romantic... We´ve been to the Keltic for a drink and thought this would be our second choice in Ingonish. If you can afford it take a room in the Lodge NOT at the Inn. The Inn gets VERY mixed reviews! It´s Motel like. The Island Sunset Resort in Cheticamp is brand new and looks very nice. Good choice for that region. It´s a good idea to do the Cabot Trail with 2 stops in Ingonish and Cheticamp.

Have fun, Nova Scotia is beautiful!!! This year we will take our 6th vacation there.

Mentioned in this post
Baddeck
Baddeck
Ingonish
Ingonish
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,404 Reviews
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights to stay

Thanks so much for your detailed information, this is exactly what we needed to know. I will call this week and change our reservations. We have a room in the Inn at the Keltic, and our accomodations at the Dunlop Inn (Heuser room) don't seem so great either. Thanks.

atlanta
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights to stay

I found an Inn in Cheticamp online that My husband and I will be staying at in two weeks. It looks (online) like something you may like. Baywind Suites. Baywindsuites.com. If anyone has stayed here let me know what you thought. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cheticamp
Cheticamp
9. Re: 4 nights to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 12, 2009