We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

2 posts
Save Topic
Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

I'm planning a trip to Cape Breton for our honeymoon at the end of September. I've found some wonderful little cottages in Margarees by Chimney Corner beach where I'm so excited to stay. I was wondering, though, what anyone would recommend flight-wise. We're flying in from KY and I wasn't quite sure if it would be better to fly into Halifax and rent a car to drive the rest of the way or fly into Sydney and then rent a car? Either way, we'd have to drive a while and I like the idea of saving some money by flying into Halifax. Just wondering what others thought?

Also any recommendations on things to do in the area while we're there? We plan on doing plenty of hiking and walks, eating at The Dancing Goat I've heard is so great, beach. I love homemade things- blankets, pottery, any kind of craft- are there shops like that in the area? Any ideas would be kindly appreciated. Thank you!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

It is about a four hour drive from the Halifax airport to Margaree Centre. You will have to decide if it is better to drive or pay the extra to fly. Your flight will be shorter to Halifax and car rental will be easy.

toronto
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

I am familiar with those cottages although have not stayed in them. We have vacationed in Cape Breton quite a number of times, most recently in 2012. I am assuming you already know about the spectacular Cabot Trail scenic drive - particularly beautiful through Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Excellent hiking trails, scenic overlooks, and several good beaches in and adjacent to the park.

Not far from Margaree and on route to the Park is the Acadian Fishing Village of Cheticamp which has shops selling local folk art - whimsical carvings and hooked rugs. The Ceilidh Trail south of you is also worth a bit of exploring - some more beautiful coastal scenery, e.g. Mabou Highlands (a challenging hiking trail through these), plus small towns and lightly used beaches.

The area is famous for the local fiddlers - both Celtic and Acadian. Many restaurants and pubs have entertainment regularly and you might want to also investigate if any Ceilidhs are on.

Baddeck is a charming little town with cafes, dining, galleries and Alexander Graham Bell museum.

I recommend the book Exploring Nova Scotia for hidden and off-the-beaten path attractions and sights (available from online bookstores).

Will you only visit Cape Breton on this trip? It is at the top of my list for Atlantic Canada, but there are other special places in Nova Scotia and the other provinces too if you have time.

Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

>> I love homemade things- blankets, pottery, any kind of craft- are there shops like that in the area?

Yes! The Cabot Trail website is an excellent guide to that part of Cape Breton Island. Their listing of artisans and craft stores is at http://www.cabottrail.travel/thingstodo.cfm - click on "Artisan's Studios, Crafts & Gifts". Some of the places listed are just gift shops, but others are actual artisans, the kind you (and I) are looking for.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

You have some good info above, just wanted to add The Red Shoe PUb in Mabou is not to be missed for both food and music.

Cheticamp is renowmed for" Hooked Rugs" . Have a look at this link, even made it to Oprah!

http://www.cheticamphookedrugs.com/

Another location where you might want to spend some time is the Gaelic College in St Ann's

www.gaeliccollege.edu/

There is a lovely Inn near by Chanterelle or you may wish to stay in Baddeck area for a night or two to explore that area without driving back and forth. When in Baddeck don't miss the Alexander Bell Museum.

I recommend a visit to the Highland Village in Iona and see artisans and displays of traditional crafts

…gov.ns.ca/hv/…default.aspx

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

The best is to fly into Halifax . The drive to CB and the Margaree area from the airport is between 4 to 41/2 hours .

Make sure the accommodations are also listed on Nova Scotia. com to ensure the ones you are looking at are government licensed and inspected, as some are not , so if any problems , you are kind of stuck .

Check the area names of Margaree Harbour , and Belle Cote, too ,and also on Trip Advisor and Flip Key as that is where there are ocean views and a very few do have beach access. The beach access to Chimney Corner is on a side road off of route 219 . The beach at Belle Cote is the easiest to access ,Margaree Harbour would be next easiest .

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

I just noticed that Trip Advisor has changed the way they list properties so you watch the selection as cottages may be listed under the menu "specialty lodging " or "vacation rentals" and you miss them if you just check "hotels" . Wish they didn't do that . Best cottages are on Flip Key .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

Hi Nmarler,

A quick question: how long are you planning to be there? I'd suggest flying open-jaw so you're not retracing mileage (so long as the car rental company has no issues with dropping-off in a different city). Personally, I found landing in Sydney very convenient for getting to Baddeck. However, WestJet has since changed its schedule and service from Toronto is now thrice-weekly leaving Toronto at 9:30am so I don't see that being workable for you. Air Canada has only 1 direct flight daily and again it's scheduling doesn't look that attractive for your purposes unless you want to overnight by Pearson Airport the night before.

Just from a quick look, flying into Halifax and home from Sydney might be the best combination. Using Air Canada's schedule and depending whether you're flying out of Louisville or Cincinnati, you'd be arriving in Halifax between 4:30p and 5:20p and then about a 4-hour drive to Cape Breton. If you're carry-on-only travellers, it's also possible you could catch the 5:45 flight from Halifax to Sydney, save yourself a couple of hours driving and be there an hour earlier.

HTH

u

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

We plan on staying for 7 days- Saturday to Saturday. It's looking like flying in and out of Halifax is our best option. We're thinking we'll take a day trip or 2 to Baddeck or somewhere around there. We wanted somewhere relaxing but still offered us some fun things to do- especially outside. You guys gave us plenty of options- thank you!! Very excited about our stay in Cape Breton!! We can't stop talking about it!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

You are coming in late September , so likely you may but may not get a chance to swim in the ocean, as after mid September it's cooled off, but some years we are still in the water in early October on a hot day ,of course .You can still have beach fire and hot dogs though . I'll give you the wood. You can still take a trail ride at Little Pond Stables in Cheticamp , you can still golf in ingonish or Inverness at a full links golf course , both highly rated but also no problem for a novice . You can certainly hike and roam around all of Cape Breton . Whale watches are great too that time of year . In September ,the best music venues are Red Shoe in Mabou , the Glenora Distillery nearby , and the Normaway barn on Friday nights and the Cheticamp Doryman on Saturday afternoons.

Edited: 8:56 am, March 14, 2013
10. Re: Margarees and flights into Halifax vs Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island