We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kindly help planning 5-6 days trip to Cape Breton Island

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Kindly help planning 5-6 days trip to Cape Breton Island

Hello everyone!

I and my wife are planning a trip in June to Cape Breton Island for 5 or 6 days. I have no idea of the geography of the island but have seen some maps on the official tourism website.

We will be flying from Ottawa to Sydney and are planning to stay at two places (3 days at each place) to cover maximum sites. But we are confused about which two places we should choose to stay. Kindly help.

Another query I have is, is it possible to rent a car at Sydney and use it to travel between various sites in the island? When I checked Google maps' driving instructions to drive from Sydney to Ingonish, I saw that we have to get on a ferry. Now, If I get on a ferry, what do I do with car. Please pardon if this is a stupid question, but I am really confused because of this.

I am from Ottawa and I can drive pretty comfortably here. Is it difficult to drive inside the island? Any specific thing I need to keep in mind while driving? I plan to rent a car and carry my TomTom GPS.

Thank you in advance to a very helpful community here. Please advice.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kindly help planning 5-6 days trip to Cape Breton Island

Baddeck is about a 6 hour drive from Lunenburg ; but Baddeck is inland . If you are planning to travel the Cabot trail , aim for along the west coast to get by the ocean for at least one evening . Stop at the Visitor Center at the Causeway to find you a nice place .

12. Re: Kindly help planning 5-6 days trip to Cape Breton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 18, 2014