We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

I will be coming up in Oct. Should I take the shore road towards Judique, Inverness. Or, is it more scenic in Oct. stay on the Trans Canada to the Cabot Trail? Just rambling around for 11 days. I don't mind staying in the smaller villages, since I live in one already. Could you recommend places to stay and not to miss places to eat and see?

Thank you!

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

From Port Hawkesbury you could take the Ceilidh trail along the coast as mentioned and come back on the Trans Canada both have great scenery just different!!!!

There are a number of Inns and Motels along the route or there is very active group and some excellent Bed & Breakfasts in Cape Breton..

bedsandbreakfasts.ca/cape_breton_island_bbs.…

One of my favorites is Baddeck area and the Bell Museum. St Ann's Gaelic College is nearby. and the pictureque and running Englishtown ferry.

If you are interested in historical spots there is Louisburg and Highland Village in Iona another of my favorites..

Two of my favorite Inns are the Normaway in Margaree and the Chanterelle in St Ann's.Both have wonderful Food!!! Here are the links.

thenormawayinn.com/

www.chanterelleinn.com/

The Herring Choker Deli on the Trans Canada just outside of Baddeck great place for lunch or pick up picnic treats( Lovely picnic spot at the Bell Museum park). Excellent baking, particularly bread and lots of great meat and cheeses and of course sweets.

Red Shoe Pub is another not to be missed in Mabou. Probably be good to spend the night near here, as besides the wonderful food they also have great entertainment there in the evenings.

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas, let us know if you have specific

interets.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

I agree with the above. We generally recommend the Ceilidh Trail (western coast of Cape Breton below the Cabot Trail.

The first two weeks of October you will run into the fabulous Celtic Colours festival and some places may be booked up. However you will find places to stay.

http://www.celtic-colours.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Colours

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

Thanks Lulu and Maryann,

Yes, I hope to hit some of the Celtic Colours appearances.

Thank you for the links, I will check those out.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

We just traveled the road from the causeway to Judique and the drive was stunning! Most of it was right along the highway, and the sun was beaming onto the ocean. We stayed with friends there and went swimming in the ocean and even got to kayak! It's such a pretty drive.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

Sandbilly you will need to get tickets to go to CelticColours events. Many sell out the first day tickets are for sale but you may get lucky, especially at the larger venues.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

Thank you cgreno and maryann,

Maryann, I have put off buying tickets, because I was not sure where I will be. I guess that might be a big mistake! I will call today and ask!

I am now thinking of trying to stay a couple of days on each coast at a place for 2 or 3 nights and explore from there. My original thought was to drive around and find a place wherever I ended up, with a list of places for the area. I may make some reservations to get that over with.

Thank you!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

First see what tickets you can get and then book places to stay.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

Thank you maryann,

I have my tickets for six concerts.

They are:

Sunday in Whycocomagh,

Monday in Judique,

Tuesday in Cheticamp,

Wednesday in Aspy Bay,

Thursday in Ingonish,

Friday--rest

Saturday in Sydney.

Now to book the lodgings!

I will look for nothing fancy for a solo traveler.

I will work on that tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

Wow! How exciting for you. I have only gone twice and to only two shows each time.

Do let us know all about it.

Scotland, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shore Road from Halifax to the west coast

The Cabot Trail is a must see. We did the trail in a small RV. Perfect for two and camped every night at a different spot. The scenery is indescribable. Meat Cove Campground, was the high lite of our trip. Camping on the cliffs is a really cool thing to do. Watch Eagles soar off the cliffs and whales chase mackerel into the bay.

( See my review on TA)

They have small cabins you can rent for $69.00 per night. Must have your own bedding. There are B&B's all over the place and that is what we plan on doing next year. Driving through the mountains on the north shore is quite intimidating. In October you will get to see the color change in the leaves, I am envious. If you don't have Doer's and Dreamer's 2012. You must get it.

https:/…travel_guidesdefault.aspx.

I planned our whole 10 day trip with it.

Have fun

BH

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island