We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

Hello,

We finally came up with approximate itinerary for our first 3 day tour in Cape Breton. Can I get your opinion please on some questions and the plan itself?

Day 1. Travel from Halifax to Cheticamp, arriving in the afternoon. Having lunch there or taking a ww Loveboat tour if we arrive before 1pm.

Driving to Pleasant Bay, 2 hours for visiting Skyline Trail on the way. If we arrive before 4 pm there - Fidlin ww tour.

Exploring Cabot Trtail till Ingonish after around 6pm. Staying for the night in Ingonish.

Question - how doable is the plan taking into account we have a 2yo with us? When does it get dark on Cabot Trail? Cause that's the mountain area... How much time do you usually need for this part of the trail?

Another option is to make ww in another place, like Sydney. This will give us more time for exploring the Cabot Trail.

Day 2. Breakfast at Keltic Lodge.

Spending some time at Freshwater Lake and Cape Smokey.

Driving to Fortress and spending the rest of the day there ( I guess around 3-4 hours).

Driving to Baddeck for a night stay. I know there is Miner's museum at Glace Bay, but I am afraid our girl will be scary of the dark place.

Day 3. Bell museum in the morning. Maybe also Highland museum at Iona.

Driving back to Halifax, stopping at Pictou, Orangedale? if we are not too exhausted.

What do you think? I know, that's a lot of driving, but you want to see something, and you never know when you'll have a chance for another trip in the area.

TIA!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

Day 1: You may have to book your whale watching in advance so being up in the air may be a problem. Perhaps you should plan on it being in Pleasant Bay. You could do the skyline Trail on day one would would get you to Pleasant Bay much earlier on Day two.

The whales are mainly off the west coast of Cape Breton so you should not plan to go from Sydney.

Are you going to carry your child for the Skyline Trail? It is seven kilometers of walking. I don't think a stroller would work on some of it, but would be OK if she can walk a bit of the time.

You do not say when you are coming, but here are some sunset times for nearby Bay St. Lawrence. You will be high up on a plateau getting to Ingonish and not hemmed in by mountains so the sunset times should not differ too much from this: thesunrisetimes.com/Eastern_Canada/Bay_St_La…

It is an hour of driving from Pleasant Bay to Ingonish if you do not stop or detour to Neil's Harbour.

The rest of your plan looks OK to me. Your daughter would like the Highland Village as there are farm animals there. I agree that the Miner's Museum would not be a good idea.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

Thanks for your response!

I didn't quite understand your comment about "You could do the skyline Trail on day one would would get you to Pleasant Bay much earlier on Day two."

We are staying at Ingonish, and I was planning on having Skyline Trail and ww at the same day.

Yes, I've read it's about 40mins walk one way. She can walk, or I will carry her in a carrier (also taking into accounts coyotes in the area that's maybe better idea). Do you think stroller is totally useless there?

Thank you for the link! We are coming June 30th, so 8pm is our dead-line :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

I'm sorry I was not clear. I did not read carefully enough to realize you hope to get to Ingonish on Day 1.

Your Day 1 looks close to impossible. You have more than a five hour drive to get to Cheticamp. Then you want to whale watch, walk the Skyline Trail, and drive all the way to Ingonish. Whale watching takes several hours. So will walking the Skyline Trail. http://www.cabottrail.com/info/hiking.htm

Then you would still have to drive to Ingonish. You also need to allow time for stops and lunch.

Perhaps you should skip the Skyline Trail and plan to get to Pleasant Bay for the 4:00 whale watching (which you should consider booking ahead to be sure you can go.) This would give you time to stop at some of the scenic look-offs and other points of interest.

Edited: 8:30 am, June 27, 2012
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

Thanks for the idea!

I think we'll see how it goes with the driving and will make the final decision after.

Can't wait!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

The skyline needs at least 2 1/2 hours . It is not a place for a stroller .

A whale watch needs 2 hours .

If you leave Halifax by 10 am , and just drive , you can be in Pleasant bay in about 5 1/2 hours , so by 3:30 . You could do an evening WW and then do the skyline the next morning . The Skyline ends on a bluff that has the great view you see in all the tv ads , but I'd say for the first 35-40 minutes you do not have much of a view .

Almost sounds like you don't need to be staying in Ingonish if you start in Pleasant Bay. seems like the next night should be in Sydney or even Louisburg.

Edited: 6:52 am, June 28, 2012
6. Re: Itinerary help please! Doable or no??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2013