We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Cape Breton

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Cape Breton

While staying in Cape Breton my wife and I would like to go on a couple of hikes. We have heard that the Skyline is a great trail, and it certainly looks impressive, but is it busy? What are other good/challenging hikes in the National Park?

Also, we might be staying just north of the National Park. What are some good hikes that are not located in the park? We don't mind more challenging hikes (a 7-10km day hike sounds good). I am finding it sort of hard to find many good resources for hiking outside of the national park. Is there any good websites out there about hiking in Cape Breton, especially northern Cape Breton?

Thanks for the help!

Yarmouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Cape Breton

Hello vanSlays

My name is Ginette and I work for Nova Scotia tourism.

The Skyline trail is quite large and you can have multiple people hiking and you might not see anyone for a long time. The amount of people on the trail would also depend on the time of the year you are planning to come visit.

Here is a website on hiking on the Cabot Trail. It does include some trails in the National Park, but also trails in communities all along the Cabot Trail.

http://www.cabottrail.com/info/hiking.htm

Another website is www.trails.gov.ns.ca which shows mainly the National Park trails in that area.

I hope this helps with your planning.

Please visit our novascotia.com website for added information and/or reservations for your trip.

Happy planning!

Ginette

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Cape Breton

Ginettte has given good resources for hikes in CB with the two web links. For your questions - the Skyline is certainly about the busiest trail in Cape Breton because it is a easy trail that is well known and advertised. To avoid crowds just try to get on it early in the morning. For a short but exerting trail Franey Mountain has some incredible views once you get to the top.

North of the park, your best bet is the Meat Cove trail. It starts at the picnic site at Meat Cove. It can be a bit hard to follow at times as it isn't as well marked as the park trails, but just keep to the main track and you shouldn't have a problem. Check with the locals if you are camping at Meat Cove. Its around 15 km return loop. The topo map for the hike is Cape St. Lawrence 11N2

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Cape Breton

Thanks very much for the help. That site is quite helpful.

4. Re: Hiking in Cape Breton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island