We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape breton island tour.

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Topic
cape breton island tour.

we are coming from PEI on ferry to Pictou and want to do the whole cape breton island tour. what routes would you suggest to cover whole island. we plan to spend two nights - is that enough? how do you recommend we break up the trip and where to spend the two nights. I would appreciate your help since i find it hard to judge time and distance on the online sites. could you respond in miles? thanks so much.

Dalton, Pennsylvania
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: cape breton island tour.

Thank you all so much for your information and suggestions. We have decided to definitely stay 3 nights on CBI and am really looking forward to all the sights and sounds you have been describing. Thanks again to everyone.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cape breton island tour.

Great. Please come back and tell us about your experiences.

Scituate, MA
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cape breton island tour.

We just returned from a 9 day road trip, of which cape Breton Island was the main destination.

Few things to be aware of: there are hardly any restaurants on the island. Many are closed or open limited hours off season. There are also no decent grocery stores. None.

We stayed 3 nights at The Points Cottages in Ingonish. i highly recommend it, clean, modern, oceanfront accomodations with fantastic views.

We found Cheticamp to be much less attractive than Ingonish.

Cabot Trail is magnificent, and depending on how much hiking and exploring you wish to do, you can see it in 2 days.

Enjoy your trip, the scenery is incredible on the Cabot Trail.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cape breton island tour.

MargieOh, we have many grocery stores in Cape Breton. We have Sobeys, Superstore, Co-op and No Frills. Maybe in the areas that you were in didnt but here in Sydney and surrounding areas we have many around.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cape breton island tour.

Margie O

There are no lack of stores on the west side of the Island either . Mabou, Margaree Forks, Grand Etang and Cheticamp all have C0-op stores that carry everything from fresh food to camping gear to wine and beer .

When you chose Ingonish, the location on the map clearly shows you are not in an urban or even very populated location, so it's no different than rural Mass. or rural Maine , where some towns have good facilities and others may have none .

So what were you trying to find in a store but couldn't ??

Restaurants, like we are in the tourism business , I think Cheticamp has 8 or more , we even have several award wining places like the Chanterelle Inn and Normaway Inn .

Scituate, MA
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cape breton island tour.

Guess I am spoiled, living in a suburb of Boston MA we have lots of choices. I have a different perspective bc of this.

We had to drive miles to get a food store - it was called "Freshmart" and was - pardon me, but - disgusting. My kids here have worked at a local grocery store which is sub-par and Freshmart made that store looks like a gourmet grocery.

Just a different perspective - not meant to offend, just inform folks like me who might not expect such limited choices.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cape breton island tour.

I have been to Cheticamp several times, often outside of the tourist season.

While during the tourist season, many restaurants (and there are several very good ones) stay open late, in the off season, they often close quite early so you will have limitations if wanting to eat after 6pm.

I havent been to the other places mentioned, just passed through, but it may be similar there.

18. Re: cape breton island tour.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 24, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island