We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
51 reviews
Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

HI all, we are in the very early stages of planning a trip next summer specifcally to Cape Breton Island from the Boston Mass area. We drove up once before to NS, and took the ferry on the way back from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor so that eliminated at least some driving. We didn't attempt the drive to Cape Breton as I hate to sit for endless hours in the car and the drive looked daunting. Looking for your suggestions to get up to CB from Boston without spending most of our time driving. Is there a flight/ferry combo that might get us up there and back without spending over a $1000 each in airfare?

All suggestions most welcome! Thanks

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

you should be able to fly into sydney , for that amount of money , just keep an eye out for deals

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,453 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

Hi Karrieb;

There is no longer ferry service from Maine to Nova Scotia. It was discontinued in 2010.

Best Regards

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

No ferry service- YIKES, this changes everything. Looks like maybe a more affordable flight to Halifax with a car rental up to CB. Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
172 reviews
4. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

That is what I would do - fly to Halifax and rent a car.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,453 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

You're Welcome, Karrieb !

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
6. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

Hi

If you decide to drive in lieu of fly, be aware you should drive to Houlton Me and then south from there. We just drove to Ontario and back through the US and the road from St Stephen NB to Moncton is horrendous, potholes, bad patches and construction.

For a main highway it is in terrible condition.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
169 reviews
7. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

Oh Thank you!!! I"m planning on driving from Florida to Glace Bay NS in August and wondered why everything routed thru Houlton. It looked like crossing the border by Calais would be faster.

The road is really that bad?

Thanks

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

My experience is a year old when it was fine.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
314 reviews
9. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

Just to chip in our opinion on the roads. We travel to Maine-NH at least twice a year including April of this year and we always use the crossing at Calais. For us, we find it the most convenient, and since they opened a third crossing, it is much quicker, with fewer delays at the border. We never drive up to cross at Houlton. There is no doubt the roads in New Brunswick are well used, though.

Edited: 1:27 pm, June 27, 2011
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
10. Re: Planning trip from Boston to Cape Breton

That's normally the route we take, but it is pretty beat up right now.