We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black flies

Lagro, Indiana
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Black flies

Someone told me that when they traveled in early summer (June), they had a big problem with black flies. We are planning a camping trip for the month of June, mainly on Cape Breton, involving mostly outdoor activities. Could someone answer on whether black flies would be a problem for hiking and swimming?

Distanceswimmer

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Black flies

End of May through to mid June is usually the worst time of year for black flies, some years are worse than others and weather comes into play. I'm not sure about others but they don't seem to bite me so I prefer them over mosquitoes. Worst thing about them when they are think is when they get into your face, ears nose etc. Best bet to avoid this is to get netting to put over your head to have on hand, they don't cost much and solves the worst of the problem.

www.bluenosegirl.com

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black flies

My recommendation is to do as many activities and hikes along the coast - you will not encounter them out on the salt water and the breezes keep them down on the beaches. I run outdoor adventure tours and while I am on the salt water I dont get a single bite, but sometimes the swarms can be waiting 30 feet off the beach where the woods start. That time of year I dont do any inland hikes. I find the netting annoying so avoidance is the best bet - wear light coloured clothing if possible. Hard to find white outdoor clothing huh.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black flies

I'm from NE and have endured spring after bloody spring in NH, and ME.

my husband is a caper. I went for my 1st trip to cb 3rd week of june, 2007. No black flies - we stayed in Port hood for a week, drove the trail, etc. Last year we were back, same week - we hiked to Egypt Falls which is northern lake ainsle area - Pipers Glenn. no black flies...we tend to stay near the shore, but do a lot of 4 wheeling on the pulp roads.

Mosquito's however, are a much more painful subject, but they're not out in droves in June. June is still cool and sometimes rainy. 'Skeeters are thick July - sept. Go inside as soon as it gets dark!

btw, be sure to get some goodies at the Farmers Daugher in Whycocomagh (old timers pronounce it 'whyhogamah'). Insane baked goods. Butterscotch squares are the BEST!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black flies

You are camping on Cape Breton in June . In general, I would say that in June you shouldn't have any real problems with black flies and even into July, but a lot depends where you camp as it always does. Along the coast and in the National Park, there are many camping locations where the coastal breezes mean that you may never get a black fly or mosquito, except maybe that last hour before dark. The temperatures in June are not that hot and there is usually no real humidity , even though you are by the water . Make sure you have nets and repellants , just in case , but you should be fine . Many of the better trails are along the sea coast, seldom do you go deep into the woods. Most days , we have a breeze off the mountains or the ocean , so if there are black flies it is usually just at dusk anyway. Look, I get by the whole year living there on one container of liquid Woods OFF

Lagro, Indiana
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black flies

Thanks to everyone for your replies. They are very helpful.

Distanceswimmer

6. Re: Black flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 30, 2012