We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in late april

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Weather in late april

Planning on a driving trip ,,Cabot trail on Easter weekend. April 21. Does anyone know what I should expect as in temperature? Driving conditions?

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Weather in late april

The Cabot Trail will more than likely still have snow there in April. It is almost a guarantee this year for sure. The Highlands had major snow this year just as recent as last week. As for temps that time of year...It should be around the 10 degree mark, give or take a few either way. It is always colder along the coast as well.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Weather in late april

Oh, there will still be snow this April based on what's up there now. Until you reach the Park itself, there may be snow in the trees in the shade, so it will be cool most days; if you get a sunny day, it may get to 15-20 .

We always expect to be trout fishing by April 1 .

Best to watch the Highway Cams for Nova Scotia and the ones for French Mountain and South Mountain.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Weather in late april

Hi Toronto!

Late April days are long (like early August) in Nova Scotia and can be brilliantly sunny. Last year, 2010, we reached 25° C on Easter Sunday, although I would not count on this becoming the norm.

The Canadian weather bureau says that the average high around April 24 would be about 10°, with lows at night averaging around 2°. Of course, averages are merely a shotgun pattern where some days might get up around 15° or higher while others could hover near freezing.

We have a 1 in 10 chance of at least some snow on any given day in the latter half of April. There's about a 1 in 20 chance of a major snowfall, that is, one year in 20 we'll have 15 cm or more at least one day after the 15th of April. The last time this happened was May 6, 1995 (17 cm).

All tolled, it's pretty good odds that you won't hit severe weather. You never can tell when you might roll snake-eyes, however. At worst, it should all melt after a couple of days.

This winter, 2010-11 has been a "la Niña" year, with colder and snowier weather than average in the northeast. Places on the Eastern Seaboard have been hit even worse than us, but there's been a thick blanket of snow all over Nova Scotia for at least the last six weeks now. Last winter, the ice was starting to break up about now (first week of March) but that is definitely not going to be in the cards this year. I'd expect that the ice will leave on its normal schedule, in the third week of April in Cape Breton. You may see the last bits in the lakes just before it finally melts.

Happy travels and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

4. Re: Weather in late april

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 19, 2012