We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Baddeck or Louisbourgh

I have to decide whether to visit Baddeck or Louisbourgh. In terms of sightseeing which would be the better choice?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
316 reviews
1. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I would pick Louisburg. It is a fascinating, one of a kind spot. It is a place to spend an entire day, so if time is an issue, you may want to go to Baddeck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

The Fortress of Louisbourg is, in my opinion, the best historical reconstruction on the continent, rivalled only by Virginia's Colonial Williamsburg. Most of our B&B guests spend the entire day there and then cap it off with the 2 hour show of Cape Breton music at the Louisbourg Playhouse. I would choose Louisbourg hands down over Baddeck.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

usually people visit all of Cape Breton Island, but given your choice of Baddeck or Louisburg, by all means go to Louisburg . First the Fortress itself is like a trip back in time. If you can go out to that farthest sentry post on the outer wall and imagine being there during an Atlantic October gale .

Louisburg is basically on the ocean and still a fishing town. Baddeck is on the lakes and basically a touristy town except for the Graham Bell museum..

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Also, in Louisbourg, you could visit not only the Fortress, the playhouse for a show, but also on Havenside Rd for Lighthouse Point where you can visit the Lighthouse all the way up the top and take the walking trail for some awesome photos. You could also go to the beach in Louisbourg...its called kennington cove it is a 15 min or so drive down a dirt road but it is beautiful. You can click on my username to check out my photo contributions and you will see many photos of the Fortress and the Lighthouse Point. My vote is for Louisbourg but I also love Baddeck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Don't take us wrong on this issue, Baddeck too is a nice spot. While I do find it a little too "touristy" for my liking, it is a great place to spend the day. The alexander Graham Bell Museum is fantastic. It concentrates on the things Bell did in Baddeck, largely the development of flight (he was in competition with the Wright Brothers) and the invention/development of the hydrofoil.

Cheers

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Good afternoon joefree,

My name is Krista and I am with Nova Scotia Tourism.

As others have already mentioned, it really depends on your preferences and what you would like to see/do while in Nova Scotia.

Both areas definately have something unique to offer. In Baddeck the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is definately worth a visit, a cruise on the Bras d'Or Lakes and also a Puffin Boat Tour are just a few suggestions of things to see and do in the area.

Louisbourg as others have already mentioned is greatly known for the Fortress of Louisbourg, it is definately worth the visit for young and old alike! Louisbourg Playhouse, Louisbourg Lighthouse and Kennington Cove (10 minute drive from town) which offers a variety of nice sandy beaches to relax and enjoy a swim or picnic on the beach are just a few additional suggestions.

I hope this information helps with your planning, whichever you decide I am sure you will enjoy your visit!

Cheers,

Krista

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
7. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Thanks..appreciate your advice on this.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
8. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Thanks for your help on this

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
9. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

Thanks Krista!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
142 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Baddeck or Louisbourgh

rtoudcaper, I looked at your photos.

Great job.

Where are Gillis' Falls in Cape Breton ?