We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

I have read many of the posts in the forum asking for suggestions for itineraries. Some parts of the responses fit and some don't, so figured I would impose for a "customized" itinerary suggestion. I have the official travel guide and the problem is that everything sounds exciting. This will be our first visit to NS, although we spent a week in the Bar Harbor ME area at the same time last year and just loved it.

We are flying into Halifax on Saturday, Sept. 6th arriving mid-afternoon. We depart early on Saturday, Sept. 13th. Our plan was to drive out of Halifax after arrival but which way to go. We wanted to return to Halifax on Thursday night in order to give us a full day on Friday and be convenient for our early morning departure on Saturday.

But where to go?? We are in late 50s, not athletes, but reasonable walks and mild-moderate activities are within our capabilities. We enjoy scenic drives, kayak tours, historical points of interest, stopping and relaxing.

If you had this time, how would you spend it? Thanks in advance for your input.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Hi dlwinger,

Since you put this posting on the Cape Breton posting, I assume that you want to spend the majority of your time there. You won't have any problem finding places to visit & things to do there, as I'm sure the folks in that area will give you lots of ideas.

If you do have any extra day or two,I'd suggest the loop from Halifax along the South Shore to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay & Lunenburg. Then cross on Rte 12 to the Annapolis Valley area, giving you a chance to view the high tides of the Bay of Fundy,visit Grand Pre Historic Site,& visit some local wineries before heading back to Halifax.

Gran Pre is less than an hour's drive from Halifax, & you could do this loop either way. Here's a couple of websites for you:

--- www.grand-pre.com ---

--- www.downtownwolfville.com ---

--- explorenovascotia.com ---

Here's hoping that you'll enjoy Nova Scotia as much as you did Bar Harbor.

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of summers in Bar Harbor a few years ago & certainly enjoyed it.

Fundygirl

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Fundygirl,

Thanks for the great information. I'm new to the TripAdvisor forum and didn't mean to put it in the Cape Breton forum but in the general NS one. Thanks for pointing that out and reposting. That being said, CB area certainly has a lot of interest for us. Originally I though I could use Halifax as a base and do day trips from there, but didn't realize how big NS actually was until I got the travel guide and saw the mileage. That made us realize we would need to make a couple of stops to make the trip enjoyable as we don't want to be driving all night to get back.

Thanks again for the help,

Dave

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Visited NS in Sept. 2007 with my sisters. We are all 50+. Our main interest is always history and some genealogy. One of the places we enjoyed the most was Annapolis Royal (Fort Anne, Port Royal etc.). And...one of our favority activities was a cemetery tour of the Fort Anne garrison cemetery led by Alan Melanson. If you happen to be in that area, please check out his tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

travelandtransitions.com/stories_photos/anna…

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Kay,

thanks for the tip. Was the tour of particular interest because you had/might of had ancestors there or was it of general interest?

Dave

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Both. I've been to Annapolis Royal twice. The 1st time I was aware of the history (Fort Anne and Port Royal) but the 2nd visit was primarily due to ancestry. We had an ancestor who left Mass. for Annapolis Royal on the 'Charming Molly' back in 1760. We knew that he settled at 'Bloody Creek' but couldn't find such a spot on any map. Alan Melanson actually was the one who gave us directions to 'Bloody Creek' where we found an cairn erected to commemorate two battles that had occured in the vicinity. On either side of the creek were current residents with my ancestors last name!!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Bloody Creek "

I think that's the first mention of this on the forums. I used to swim there as a child and remember my grandfather telling me all about the history and the battle fought there, the name did always give me the creeps ..

For those who don't know, Bloody Creek is located on Route 201 on the south side of the Annapolis River just a few miles from Bridgetown and about 12 miles from Annapolis Royal. I'm glad the guide was able to point this out to you as it's pretty easy to miss.

Annapolis Royal has some of the best B&B properties and the walking, historical and graveyard tours are more than excellent.

If you do decide to spend some of your travel time in the southern portion of the province I highly recommend this area and the Lighthouse Route / Evangeline Trail Loop.

Two such diverse area's in such close proximity to one another.

blondie ***

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

Fort Anne has a wonderful display about the New England planters and my ancestor would have been one of them. 1st time I visited Fort Anne, museum was just a hodge-podge of artifacts. Now, it truly tells the story of Annapolis and surrounding area with informative displays etc. This part of our trip brought our geneology investigation to life.

8. Re: September Week in Nova Scotia - HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 20, 2009