We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

My husband & I toured Cape Breton from July 29 - Aug 5 and had a great trip. We flew to Halifax and rented a car. We decided to spend 2 days in 3 different places so we could really explore. We stayed along the coast rather than going through Baddeck. The first was 2 nights in Mabou. This area has beautiful farms and is very pretty. We stayed at the Duncreigan. It was very nice, with a great breakfast. We were a liitle disappointed in the lack of view from our room but other than that it was fine. We discovered Inverness 15 minutes north the morning we left Mabou and wished we had stayed there as there were more restaurants and pubs and is right on the ocean.

The drive from Mabou around to Ingonish was spectacular. We picked up some cooked lobster and fresh bread in Cheticamp and ate it for lunch at a picnic table in Pleasant Bay. We left the Cabot trail to go up to Bay St. Lawrence. The detour was well worth the time. There are a couple of whale watching tour boats there. Dennis Cox, our captain was persistent in making sure we saw whales and did not give up even after a couple of hours. We ended up seeing many pilot whales that were all around and even under our boat. Took us right up to Cape North and into a cove to see several harbour seals and tooks us back close to shore to see some facinate rock formations and water falls. The whole cruise was a generous 3 1/2 hours. A snack of fried clams for the final leg of our drive to Ingonish tied us over until a fantastic dinner at the Seascape Coastal Retreat in Ingonish, which was a great finish to a memorable day. We spent 2 nights there in a lovely little cottage right on the ocean with a great view. The cottages were a little pricey $250 a night, but that did included a full breakfast. We ate dinner both nights at the same restaurant because it was so good. Our explorations in the Ingonish area included a drive through Neils Harbour, a walk to the end of White's point... which is a must do! Indescribable beauty!! A snack of fresh raw oysters at a picnic table from a "camp ground and oyster mart" WOW!

Day 5 was off to Louisbourg. More breathtaking scenery along the way. We took the scenic route from Glace Bay and passed through many quaint hamlets, with beautiful sandy beaches. Louisbourg is a great little town with lots of history. We stayed a Mid-town cottages. Very clean, cosy and reasonable, and within walking distance to everything. We went to a show at the Louisbourg Playhouse... Laughter and Lyrics. Cape Breton Music with a few hilarious skits mixed in.. definately a highlight of our trip. Crabfest was that weekend and although we couldn't be there the Sat. night for crab, we went the Fri night for the freshest mussles we've ever eaten and some great music.

We spent our last night downtown Halifax, a wonderful city and flew out the next day. We highly recommend taking your time to explore Cape Breton as there is far more to experience than just a scenic drive around the Cabot trail. The people, culture and food, food, food... are worth the time! Definately one of our best trips. My Husband had an injured foot so we didn't get to do any hiking...next time!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Thanks for leting us know what you liked and didn't like and your recommendations. Glad you ejoyed your week. Come back again!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

excellent read, thanks for posting

blondie *

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Wonderful to hear back from folks. You did the Cabot Trail the right way. it always amazes me to hear of tourists who say they "did the Trail in a day " and "saw Cape Breton" . On and off the island in one day just doesn't cut it! Would you mind telling us what you paid for your whale watching tour? Recently we took our Grandson on a tour out from Pleasant Bay. The weather was very unsettled and the ocean was quite rough. I really thought they might cancel it. The lobster boat was right in it's element and all the passengers really enjoyed the trip. Because of the rough conditions it was difficult to spot any whales further out in the water. We were taken almost down to Cheticamp very close to the spectacular shoreline. We did see Pilot Whales as well. It was definetely worth the trip even if we hadn't seen any whales at all. We paid $62.00 for the three of us.

ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

BretonB... we paid $50 for both my husband and myself for the whale watching cruise. We were very happy with it. It is apparent that Dennis loves his work and made sure we had a great experience.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Shrug north,

Glad to hear that your rates were comparable to what we paid for three persons in Pleasant Bay NS.

The reason I asked was because I was browsing through a New Brunswick travel guide and the average price for whale watching tours was around $48.00 a person. I was thinking that was far too much to pay. Does anyone know what the rates are up Digby way?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

My husband and I are going to Cape Breton Oct 7 - 19...we had planned to take in PEI as well, and now have decided to concentrate the whole time on CB and some of your other hilites in Nova Scotia...great post...thanks.

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Hi shugnorth,

I'm glad to read your report back from your trip. It sounds like you had a great time. My husband and I will be in Cape Breton between Oct. 5th through Oct. 8th. We are planning on staying at Seascape Coastal Retreat on Oct 5th and 6th. Then the Duncreigan Country Inn on Oct. 7th. You said you were disappointed in your room because of no view. Do you remember what type room you had? I know mine has a king bed and is a two room suite with water view in the main inn, but it does not have a deck. You said also that you wished you had stayed in Inverness instead because there was also more restaurants and pubs plus being right on the ocean. Did you get a chance to notice the names of the inns there to stay at? I would appreciate any tips or suggestions you may have. Thanks.

ladydawg

ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Hi Ladydawg,

I'm sorry that I don't know the names of any of the places in Inverness, but I found all of our accomocations on this site, so I am sure you can find them and some reviews. Don't get me wrong, the Duncreigan was very nice, and breakfast was great. Unfortunately we didn't get to have dinner there, as the diningroom was not serving dinner on the Monday night that we were there, and we arrived too late on Sunday night for dinner. As for the view, when we looked out our window on the waterside, we were in the tree tops and couldn't see anything. Our room was a queen room, and I think it was considered the main inn. I would verify that it is "waterview" and not "waterside". The Inn is on the river, not the ocean. It is in walking distance of the river, the Red Shoe Pub, which has really good food and some impromptu music, as well as rumoured visits from the Rankins (they own it) and the Mull restaurant which is a family type restaurant (nothing fancy, but good). I think there is more to do in Inverness, but it depends on what you are looking for.

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Hello shugnorth,

Sorry I'm just getting back to you, but we've been out of town. We just got back from Blowing Rock, North Carolina last night. I've been thinking again about staying at the Duncreigan. We are also in the main house and the restaurant is closed so they suggest you eat at The Mull since his brother owns it. I think we are going to try the Island Sunset Resort now but I'm not sure if I would rather begin from there and already have seen the Mabou Highlands area or if I would rather end there. We have 3 nights all together in Cape Breton, but I want two nights for the Seascape Coastal Retreat. What is your suggestion or anyone else please? Also did you like doing the trail clockwise? Can others please tell me if people say they like clockwise or counter-clockwise better?

ladydawg

Co Down, N. Ireland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take your time...Our recent 7 day tour

Ladydawg, I just think the Cabot Trail "unwinds" better clockwise, so a bit hard if you are staying in Ingonish. Why not try the Lakes Scenic route?

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island