We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

New York, NYC
1 post
Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

Three adults and a dog traveling from NYC around CBI in August. We have reserved at two different places to stay and we are trying to decide which one is going to be better: the Knotty Pine Cottages or Castle Rock Inn. The cottages are $95/night for a 2-BR cottage, the inn is $125/night for a room with double bed and sofa-sleeper. Which is nicer? Cleaner? Better location? Thanks!

Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

Hope this message gets to you before your trip. We stayed at Knotty Pine Cottages the end of June and were very disappointed. We booked the "deluxe" cottage for $140 a night and found it to be anything but 'deluxe". It was run-down and not worth the money. Also, the location is bad. It is very close to the road (the unit we had) and the cottages are not even close to the little village of Ingonish, rather they are located in Ingonish Ferry. There is nothing here for activities. We felt the property was misrepresented online and on phone when we called for a reservation. p.s. We never even got clean towels for a 2-night stay!

Ingonish
1 post
2. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

The deluxe cottage is 130 a night not 140, unless you had extra people! If the cottage was rundown in your words, you should have written out on paper what you thought was wrong with the place for consideration for the future. The location is gorgeous, actually. And ONLY 7 minutes from Ingonish Beach driving SLOW. The bank, NSLC, police station, and restaurants also 7 minutes away. 1 minute up the road is the marina, you can go sailing to see whales of zodiac tours to see whales, after that is the ski hill that you can take the lift up to see all of Ingonish. Spectacular view. I dont see how the property can be misrepresented online when there are clearly photos showing the property. If you wanted clean towels you should of asked.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

I have heard nothing but bad things about "Knotty Pines". The location IS bad! We drove by several times.

Ontario
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

While this is too late for your trip, we recently stayed at the Castle Rock Inn in Ingonish Beach. Lovely location. No A/C, so if it is muggy, it's muggy inside as well. Dining room was very nice, but menu seemed somewhat weak. While we got what we asked for, I overheard the waiter telling others that this and that were not available.

Rowley
1 post
5. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

My husband and I stay at the Knotty Pine Cottages every time we come up to Cape Breton. It's private, on a gorgeous lake and we can prepare our own meals and eat out on the deck. They have a full size fridge and gas grill in every cabin. There are laundry facilities on site. They have always been clean and the front office has been extremely accommodating. One time, my husband lost his checkbook in a cottage. They found it and mailed it back to us in the states. I'm not sure that level of honesty exists in many places these days. The cottages are just off the main road around Smokey, but traffic is extremely light at night and we had absolutely no problem sleeping. They are very close to the entrance to the park and there are many options for activities in the area. The price is reasonable as well. I'm not familiar with Castle Rock Inn, but we will continue to stay at Knotty Pine, we love it there.

tennessee
1 post
6. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

Have stayed at Knotty Pines several times since 2002..always been clean and the ambiance can't be beat! Prices are reasonable and it's always been a great time. Highly recommended as opposed to more "modern" and slick places accommodating high $ tourists.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

I just travelled to Ingonish this past week just to check out ALL the accommodations there that I could so I can better advise people. It's not easy to compare an Inn with Cottages in Nova Scotia as they are really two very different products .

The Knotty Pine cottages are not in Ingonish, they are in Ingonish Ferry and that is what it says in the NS tour guide book. Ingonish Ferry is a few kilometers South of Ingonish, and basically is across a bay that looks back towards Ingonish. Location wise, it's not a bad general location but it not really a "village" , just this store and cottages and a few houses as this is along the lower part of a mountain all along a bay .

I wouldn't want either of the two units right alongside the Cabot Trail road, and next to their store, as expect those to get a lot of road noise. The other units are near the road too, but down an embankment of maybe 15 feet , and farther from the road, so expect their road noise is far less. The rates advertised $ 100-140 are very reasonable considering this is really Ingonish and you are on the water. Compared to Skyline Cabins $90 - 225 that are right in Ingonish, you have what appears to be a smaller unit, in a better location , and at a higher rate. Lantern Hill and Hollow cottages are a whole different product. They are very large, they are new , they are right on the water, the group are clustered by a beach with a view across another bay towards the Keltic.Priced higher as a result at $235-260 . Personally, it really depends on "why" you are staying in Ingonish. If only a one night stay , splurge a bit. If for a week with a dog, then that dog has decided where you'll stay as there are few places that take pets. Ingonish is a nice location mainly because of the Keltic Lodge , the Highlands Golf course and the beach, and the rugged location, and fact it is at the tip of Cape Breton . I always encourage people to at least dine at Keltic , as I consider it the "treat" on the Cabot trail . I agree the person who had the bad experience should have talked to the owner and /or written the NS Tourism Department , and still should if they feel that strong. I remind readers that they should only choose licensed properties on Cape Breton NS to avoid bad experiences .

Sydney
1 post
8. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

We've never stayed at the Castle Rock but have stayed at the Knotty Pines, and really, we don't want to look anywheres else. When we stayed there, the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accomadate us if anything arose. (ie: I spilled something on my pants and they did my wash for me...) The price is fantastic, we stayed in the deluxe cottage with another couple and there was more than enough room for all of us. We had a full kitchen and living room, 2 bedrooms and a full bath. Plus they had a balcony over looking the harbour and I must say, we've stayed at a few places when in Ingonish and I don't think you can get a view like that anywhere else but at the Keltic Lodge (and the price is better at Knotty Pines) As for people who say it's not close to Ingonish, I think you must have this place confused. While it is on the outskirts of Ingonish, it might be a 5 minute drive to all the different locations that are popular in Ingonish. (Beaches, hiking trails, golf course, restaurants, liquor store,etc) Also, if you're looking for romance, they had a fireplace in the room! hehe. All in all, I didn't find any downfalls to staying at the Knotty Pines. Some people complain that it's close to the road but the cottages are insulated enough so that you don't hear anything. And they have a playground for your kids away from the road if you're worried about a place for your kids to play. Definitley worth the money and a great place to stay.

Moncton
1 post
9. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

All i can say is I booked Knotty Pines two months ago for a three night stay. I just received a phone call from them telling me that a construction crew has just reserved all the cottages so i could no longer stay there. I had a hard time finding a place when i first reserved because it was a long weekend. So imagine trying to find a place with two weeks notice. I did after many many phone calls find another place out in the middle of nowhere. But to me this is very unprofessional. After reading the comments here i am kinda glad i had to find another place.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Ingonish: Castle Rock Inn Vs. Knotty Pines Cottages

IRB 1973

Agree this is not the way to treat people, and suggest you start by telephoning 1 800 565 0000 which is the Nova Scotia Governments central booking service and tell them your story . Then suggest you write to MilesLR@gov.ns.ca which is Lyn Miles at Tourism who is the Chief Inspector for the province and have her check this out.

This is the downside that both the NB and NS governments are trying to pretend doesn't happen. They both say we don't need government involvement in accommodations so long as we have ratings. This is why I like Trip Advisor as at least it helps to learn what is good and what is not so good.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island