We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

Boston
5 posts
Save Topic
Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

I'm trying to plan our honeymoon for mid August. I already have booked the first part of the week in Ingonish (Ingonish Chalet and Motel) and am trying to figure out the rest. We're thinking of spending the second part of the week in Cheticamp (Ocean View Motel and Chalets). Everything I read suggests driving from Cheticamp to Ingonish. Is it worth trying to re-book the hotels in the opposite order? We have plenty of time, but would rather spend it hiking, biking, etc., than in the car. Is Cheticamp also a better place to start out b/c the visitor's center is there? I appreciate any thoughts as well as thoughts about the accomodations I mentioned. We want our honeymoon to be special!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

My wife swears by Cheticamp to Ingonish. She says the view is better, but I think it's because it puts her on the inside next to the highlands as she doesn't like seeing how far down the cliffs are.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

We've just returned from Nova Scotia and your question was one we debated upon for a long time. We drove The Cabot Trail from Cheticamp to Ingonish and on to Baddeck ( counterclockwise ) and are very glad we did. Both driver and passenger can appreciate the views out over the ocean and the mountains are to the other side. Definitely would recommend changing if you are able to.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

My mistake ----We drove the trail clockwise.

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

I have driven the Cabot Trail approx. 30 times and I highly suggest Ingonish to Cheticamp. However, if your hotels are booked I'd leave it as is - especially Ingonish Chalets. They tend to be fully booked pretty far in advance (that's where we always stay!). I really don't think there is that huge a difference. You're going to get beautiful views in both directions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

I too have driven the Trail about 30 times and, honestly, don't prefer one way over the other. I live in Sydney and went up as far as Neill's Harbour yesterday. The views coming back (clockwise) and going down Smokey are stunning. Having said that, the views going down from the Highlands towards Cheticamp (counter clockwise) are equally beautiful. The most sceni parts of the trail are around Smokey (south of Ingonish) and then the entire route from cape north over to Cheticamp. As you are staying in both Cheticamp and Ingonish, you will likely be travelling over the northern part several times in either direction anyway.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

The way you have your trip laid out means you enough time to do the trip in between the two in both directions anyway. The way the terrain is I tell people that each way is like a totally different trip than the other. So while in Ingonish, go North along the coast to White Point and South Haven and back to Ingopnish, not a big deal.

Then when in Cheticamp , go back up to Meat Cove and back, and you'll have had 4 totally different trips.

The distances betwen Cheticamp and Ingonish are not that long, so when you travl, you can easilyt double back a few times, besides, the best hiking is in the Park, so over a 2 week period , you'll be there a lot. I can send you a day trip list if you are able to access my email

Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

For your honeymoon visit, have you looked at Island Sunset Resort & Spa in Belle Cote, not far from Cheticamp? We booked a cottage there (at the end of July) and I will report back.....but their web page and the TripAdvisor reports look good.

The local people on this site have given me such great advice in planning our trip. We are excited!

Hope your honeymoon is wonderful, too.

~ Froggycamp

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

Folks, you have used the term "cottage". If you expect a single unit in a single building, then of the places mentionned, only the Ingonish Chalets provides that type of accomodation.

Toronto
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

Clockwise - anticlockwise.

It really doesn`t matter. You have time to do both anyway. I just came back and I went clockwise. After the round, I wish I could go back again. It`s just fantastic. May I recommend a very good restaurant in Chetticamp - "Le Gabriel" and please try the seafood platter - Excellent, and not pricey at all. One platter is more than enough for 2 people.

Barrie, Ont.
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ingonish to Cheticamp or visa versa?

Hi honeymoonBoston:

We just did the Cabot Trail a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to side on the "Doesn't really matter" side. :-)

We went clockwise ( Belle Cote - Island Sunset Resort - to Baddeck ). But there are a number of of scenic lookouts all along the route where you can pull over and get out to enjoy the views. I would recommend that you give yourselves enough time to stop and enjoy every single one of them. If you can pull off the road then do so. That way it doesn't really matter which direction you're going.

Enjoy your trip, we sure did.

bb6

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island