We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

I am travelling to Igonish for a wedding and we having never been to NS, are not sure if we should drive from Halifax and drive the 4.5hours or fly into Sydney (a bit more $$) and drive the 1.5hours.

Is the drive from Halifax to Igonish beautiful or just a highway? We will be trying to make a rehearsal dinner, so no time to stop along the way.

I would love to hear any opinions from people who have been.

Thank you.

Cabot Trail, Cape...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

If you have the money to fly into Sydney - it will be worth it as you will have more time for the Cabot Trail and the pre wedding time. The trip from Halifax is all Hwy.

Hope you have a great time!

Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

Further to Jillian's question, does anyone know if any airlines other than Air Canada do the Halifax to Sydney flight? AC appears to be pretty pricey.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

Sorry Mary ES but Air Canada it is as far as I know.

I would fly if at all possible.

blondie *

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Igonish, Fly to Halifax or Sydney?

It's actually Air Canada Jazz that flies into Sydney. I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash and flying into Sydney. It's only a 45 minute flight from Halifax and a very easy connection to make.

However you should definitely keep in mind the type of plane that will be in use on your flight. There are two planes (both operated by Jazz) that fly into Sydney - a Dash 8 and a Beech. The Dash-8 seats 37 people and has a flight attendant. Flies higher, smoother ride (altho still a propeller plane). The Beech seats 18 (one on each side), can be kind of loud, and there's no service.

The Beech aircraft is definitely a cool experience, but if you're a nervous or queasy flyer you should stick with the Dash8.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor