We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Annapolis region?

Which Wolfville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
How many days in Annapolis region?

How many days in Annapolis region? dy been kind enough to let my pick your brains about Halifax (thank you!) and I am now trying to plan the next stage of our tour of NS. Prior to our visit to the Annapolis region, we will be spending three nights in Halifax and one in Bridgewater.

I thought that we could drive from Bridgewater early the next morning and maybe swing over to the Digby area for the afternoon. We could then check in at Annapolis Royal and visit the Royal Historic Gardens before maybe taking the candlelight Graveyard Tour. The next morning, we could visit Port Royal (and maybe Fort Anne again) before heading towards Grand Pre.

My husband loves vinyards so I am sure we will be touring a number of those - at least until the kids are bored lol. I am also interested in seeing the Fox Hill Cheese House, Grand Pre Historic Site, Halls Harbour, and Blomidon Park (is it anything like Cape D'Or? We loved it there last year!).

Can we do this is whatever is left of our day after seeing Port Royal and the next before heading off to Antigonish? Or should I book two nights in Grand Pre? Last year when we visited NB, we were averaging 400 km per day so I am trying to break this year's trip into smaller chunks so we don't feel so rushed.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

You seem to be describing at least a day's worth of activities in the Wolfville area. You would need at least one night there.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

You like to pack your days full of things to do, don't you! You are driving from Bridgewater to Digby. What are you planning on seeing in the Digby area, and where are you staying - Digby or Annapolis Royal? Are you planning any activities for the kids while in the area? There is the Upper Clements Park and Wildlife refuge between Digby and Annapolis Royal. http://upperclementsparks.com/theme-home.php

Here is the link to the park at Blomidon - www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/blomidon.asp Stunning scenery.

Also, in Aylesford, located basically in the middle of the Annapolis Valley is Oaklawn Farm Zoo http://www.oaklawnfarmzoo.ca/ which is also a great spot for the kids (and you) to walk around, interact with animals, in Nova Scotia's largest zoo.

Don't rush to see so much in one day....you are on vacation...Enjoy the trip. spend a couple of nights in each area and pick a few 'must sees' in each area. Part of Nova Scotia's charm is its slow pace. Sit...enjoy...relax!

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

I agree re slower pace, suggest 2 nights in Annapolis your drive there across country is quite slow and you need another day to tour around.

Wolfville area at least 2 nights particularly if you would like to visit some wineries as well as all the other sites.

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

I actually am trying to take things at a slower pace than our trip to NB last year but there is so much we would to see! It is a tough balance knowing we probably won't be back again for some time after this year.

I have booked one night at the Annapolis Royal Inn and think I will book two in Grand Pre. After that, we will spend one in Antigonish and then 3 around Cape Breton before making our way back to Ontario (2 days). That should put us home Saturday - my son's birthday is Sunday and he would like to be home then.

I haven't made any real plans for the Digby area other to maybe take a drive along Digby neck. I know Brier Island is a great area for whale watching but we took a trip from the St Andrews side last year so I was thinking maybe this year we would go out from Pleasant Bay.

My kids are 12 and 14 so I am worried Upper Clements might be too young for them. Neither would be interested in the Adventure Park side and we are a short family so might not make their height requirements anyways. I have read a bit about Oakland Zoo. It sounds similar to a free zoo we have near to us but I will check again. Is the Valley Drive In worth considering?

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

If you are not whale watching from Brier Island and the children would not enjoy Upper Clements then I would vist Fort Royal and the Habitation and head for Grand Pre/ Wolfville area.

Your time is short and although great scenery to Brier Island very time consuming with ferries etc and slow driving.- You can't see everything and more time in other areas in my opinion would be better spent.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

Agree with Lulu C, skip the drive to Digby if you are on a time crunch. If you want to see the downtown waterfront area, which has undergone a nice restoration, you can take a walk along the boardwalk, watch the fishing fleet, and enjoy some great seafood at one of the restaurants, which over look the harbor and have outside dining areas.

The Valley Drive In was featured in today's newspaper, as a matter of fact. thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/710887-comi… Whether you want to check it out or not is another question. There is nothing else of interest around it, and the area is not particularly scenic either. Depends on what is playing the day you are in the area, and keep in mind the Drive In is a 1/2 drive away from Grand Pre and your motel.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

You should check out the balancing rock (near Digby), Upper Clements Park (near Annapolis), Action Jax (just outside of Annapolis), definitely spend an afternoon at Oaklawn Farm (near Aylesford / Greenwood)..... There are a lot of little gems around the Annapolis Valley <3

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in Annapolis region?

I agree that for this trip you can give the Digby area a miss. You have more than enough to see around Annapolis Royal and Grand Pre.

Reply to: How many days in Annapolis region?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted