We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

We were planning on driving from Ontario through Bangor, Maine and wanted to stay 2 nights in Wolfville and 2 nights in Halifax. The primary purpose of our trip was to check out Acadia University for our son and then add some seafood and scenery to the trip. With two teenagers 14 and 16, we don't want to spend alot of time in the car but would love to see great sights, visit the beachs and see some whales.

As we realize the getting to the Maritimes and the getting back to Ontario will take about 4 days in total, we are now thinking of flying to Halifax and just doing Nova Scotia. Once I did that, then I didn't know what to fill the days with that will still interest the kids.

My initial thoughts are:

Fly to Halifax Friday night - stay at the Radisson Suites on the harbourfront

Saturday - harbourfront - Atlantic Museum - Peggy's Cove and then read Lunenberg was not as busy as Peggy's Cove

Sunday - whale watching - Brier Island or Lunenberg

Monday - 1 hr drive to Wolfville - check out town and Acadia University - Halls Harbour for tides

Tuesday - Wolfville

Wednesday - NB? Cape Breton? PEI? now I'm stuck

Thursday -

Friday -

Saturday - fly home from Halifax

11 replies to this topic
New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

You might want to consider doing a loop around Southwestern Nova Scotia. That would easily take 7 days including the 2 days in Halifax, without sitting in the car all day. The distances are longer than they appear on the map. When you go whalewatching at Brier Island (much better than Lunenburg to see whales) consider staying on the Island or in the Digby or Annapolis Royal area.

www.brierisland.com

www.digbyarea.ca

www.attractionsannapolis.com

You can either continue on the coastal route to Yarmouth/ Shelburne & along the South Shore through Liverpool/ Lunenburg/ Mahone Bay & end back in Halifax. There are lots of great beaches along the South Shore.

Not sure of the dates that you will be visiting, but there are several festivals along the way, which you might find enjoyable. Just make sure you book ahead for those areas.

Aug 3-7 www.digbyscallopdays.com

Aug 4- 7 www.folkharbour.com (Lunenburg)

Aug 5-6 Shag Harbour UFO Festival (beyond Yarmouth)

July 30- Aug 15 www.festivalacadiendeclare.ca

( between Digby & Yarmouth)

If you haven't already check www.novascotia.com

& order the tour guide book "The Doers & Dreamers"

It will be a great help with your travels.

Fundygirl

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

Agree 100 % with fundygirl, the whalewatching off Digby Neck is far superior to Lunenburg, there really is no comparison !!!!

Fundygirl has given you some great advice, anything else be sure to post back,

best wishes,

blondie **

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

Thank you so much for you thoughts.

After a full day of research I discovered airfare for the 4 of us is $2400, plus we'd need a rent a car, so we're back to a road trip. I've listed some ideas for each location. Hopefully they make sense.

My tentative schedule now changes to:

Friday - depart Ontario - 6 hours to Albany, NY

Saturday - continue on 9 1/2 hours St. Andrews, NB

Sunday - continue on 5 hours to Halifax - (was going to do Wolfville first but read that the Busker Festival is on and finishing Sunday so wonder if it's worth an itineary change), Harbourfront, market, MicMac Mall, mussels at The Warehouse (harbourfront)

Monday - Lawrencetown Beach, Peggy's Cove, 10 min ferry to Dartmouth and back - lobster dinner at Shore Club (20 mins from Halfax)

Tuesday - Wolfville - Halls Harbour - any beaches?

Wednesday - Acadia - any beaches?

Thursday- Digby for whale watching - did I get that right that it's a day trip from Wolfville? recommended Chez Christophre for dinner

Friday - same trek back home - 20hrs

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

With Thursday as our last night I thought we could leave Wolfville Thursday morning do the whalewatching in Digby and stayover as we would be catching the ferry to NB or Saturday morning.

Would it be better to stay in Annapolis Thursday night to save the 1 hr drive Friday morning?

Or, alternative would be leave Wolfville Thursday morning and do whale watching and stay over in Brier Island Thursday - stay there and catch the ferry Friday morning.

Thank you again.

Kim

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

There is a great tourist information centre in Wolfville where you can get directions to some of the local beaches, plus any other info about the area.

Scots Bay is a good place for rockhounding & swimming at high tide.

You can also go swimming at high tide at Blomidon Beach & Kingsport Beach which are on the Minas Basin. These are not as sandy as the beaches you find on the South Shore (Atlantic Coast), but are still fine for swimming. Another one is Evangeline Beach in Grand Pre, aprox a 10 min drive from Wolfville.

Fundygirl

Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

There are some very entertaining and informative ghost walks in Wolfville every other Thursday night. Jeremy, who runs the tours, also used to (or may still) work for the visitor's centre, and just generally has a great knowledge of the local area. Wolfville and its surrounding area have some great restaurants and a charming Saturday morning farmer's market - though that doesn't seem to fit with your schedule.

Acadia is a great university; aside from academics, its size and location helps students to really feel like a part of a community.

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

Hi

Just wondering why you are traveling through the states rather than driving through Quebec? We drove last year from Ontario and stopped our first night in Riviere du Loup (there is whale watching there but we went from St Andrews later in our trip) before heading out our second day. On our return trip, we drove as far as Quebec City the first night which is always worth a visit.

This year we will be driving again but not stopping until just past Fredericton (about 12 hr) which will leave 4 hrs on day two to Halifax. I am not sure where in Ontario you are starting from but it might save you a bit of driving plus time at border crossings to stay in Canada

Deb

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

DebJ - given that the OP posted in 2011, one assumes they've been and gone...

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

LOL you are probably correct!

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?

My niece went to Acadia and loved it. It's a great school.

Your itinary is good... with kids that age, why not try surfing down in Lawrencetown?

http://www.ecsurfschool.com/

There is SO much to see and do down near Acadia. You really can fill 2-3 days with it all. Why not try tubing? (4th down)

farmhouseinn.ns.ca/images/Attractions4.htm

You might really love to see Cape Breton or PEI. Both places should be a minimun of 3 days, preferably 4. Otherwise you just spend all your time in the car.

There is a drive-inn theatre down near there that is fun to go to too.

You really should book hotels though. That area is famous for summer softball and soccer tournaments and the hotels fill up quickly.

You could easily spend all your time in NS.

Reply to: Planning 7 days in August - Just Nova Scotia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted