We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

We fly into Portland and drive to Bar Harbor for a few days - This is taken care of.

ISSUE is leave from Bar Harbor in rental car Monday 9/8. Plan is to "do" Nova Scotia. Have Yarmouth - Portland Ferry booked Monday Monday 9/15 at 10 a.m. Fly out of Portland Ts. 9/16. We like hiking, sightseeing, plays, bars, scenery. Not so much art museums - historical OK.

PRELIM.: Mon. 9/8 - drive to Moncton, spend 1 night.

Tuesday - drive to Sydney, arrive late, spend 3 nights

Wednesday do Cape Brenton (LONG day!!) - back to same hotel.

Thursday - day trips to Glace Bay, Louisburg, do Sydney, same hotel.

Friday - drive to Halifax spend 2 nights.

Saturday - Halifax

Sunday - drive to Yarmouth. QUESTION: For scenery / things to do TAKE 103 clockwise OR 101 COUNTERCLOCK??? About same distance / time.

Monday - Ferry to Portland.

ANY SUGGESTIONS / COMMENTS APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!!

BTW, Due to time constraints and what I have gathered, we are skiipping PEI.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,035 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

Are you just taking the ferry back to Maine? If so then stopping in Moncton makes sense.

If you look at the top right of this page you will see "Top Questions". Check out the ones for the Bay of Fundy and Cape Breton.

Sydney is OK as a base for Cape Breton, but there are much more scenic spots. Look along Lake Bras D'Or in the Baddeck area. You would be able to do less driving if you stayed on the west side of Cape Breton your first night. (See if you can get as far as Cheticamp.) Then finish driving around the trail and stay in the central area (Baddeck or Sydney) for the other two nights.

http://goo.gl/maps/7CNQJ

You will not see much in the way of scenery on either the 101 or the 103 though they are not four lane the whole way. You need to get off the highway in order to see much.

The 101 goes through the Annapolis Valley which is a valley with what we call mountains on both sides. It is lovely farmland with lots of orchards and wineries. Wolfville and Annapolis Royal are lovely towns. Wolfville is the centre of the wine area. From there you can drive to Hall's Harbour and see the Bay of Fundy. However you do need several hours to see the change in the tides.

www.exploreannapolisroyal.com

www.wolfville.ca/experiencing-wolfville

http://www.grand-pre.com/index.php

http://www.evangeline.ns.ca/

www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/blomidon.asp

http://winesofnovascotia.ca/wineries/

Route 103 goes along the south shore on the Atlantic coast on the way back to Yarmouth. You will have to get off the main road to see much of anything. There are lots of beaches and fishing villages. Some of the more scenic places are Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Shelburne, and Lockeport. Others more familiar with this area may make more suggestions.

http://www.novascotiabackyard.com/

www.lunenburgns.com

tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g3331580-Activiti…

southshorenow.ca/old_site/…index.php

thestar.com/life/travel/novascotia/2013/03/2…

http://www.ovenspark.com/

www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/rissers.asp

lunenburgregion.ca/index.php/…

http://www.whitepoint.com/

www.yarmouthvillages.com/pubnico/index.htm

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g635951-d22…

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

Yes - ferry is booked Yarmouth to Portland for Monday 9/15. I see what you mean about Cape Brenton; 1st nite other than Sydney to cut travel. GREAT idea - I am glad I have not booked rooms yet! Also thanks for info on Halifax to Yarmouth! Glad I posted my question - THANKS SO MUCH for reply!!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,035 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,035 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

I have fixed many of the broken links in the Top Questions Cape Breton links.

Fork Union, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

We just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to Nova Scotia. We enjoy hiking, walking along beaches, and pretty scenery too, although we have 3 small children, so we didn't do much in the way of bars, restaurants, and plays; but here is my advice of the 'outdoor' things to do and how to organize your time. We visited three main regions - Advocate Harbour area, south shore, and CBI. I would say with only one week you only have time to do two of these three areas. I agree with MaryAnn about skipping Moncton and driving straight to Cheticamp or as far north as you can get on CBI on Sept. 8th.

Our favorite area on Cape Breton was at the very top in Meat Cove and Bay St. Lawrence. If you could find somewhere to stay there for 2 nights, that would be ideal. Our favorite hikes in that area were:

- Grassy Point - if you ask at the Meat Cove Campground they will give you hiking info. It is fairly short, but rather steep - it has some of the prettiest views we've ever seen! There is also a nice beach near the campground. (We heard there was some really good kayaking there too, but since our kids are so little we couldn't do that on this trip.)

- White Point - this hike is near Neil's Harbour, is very flat and very easy -- trailpeak.com/trail-White-Point-Cape-Breton-…

We also went whale watching out of Bay. St. Lawrence with Oshan Whale Watch - This was one of the highlights of our entire trip!

We also bought snow crabs fresh from the boat in Bay St. Lawrence -- you'll have to see what's in season when you're there

After CBI you could either choose to go to South Shore (beautiful clear water pebble beaches w/ freezing water and quaint fishing village towns) or to the Bay of Fundy/Advocate Harbour area - beautiful coves/beaches, clamming, hikes, dramatic tides - I'll list our favorite parts of each area. (You could drive from CBI to either area in a day and at the end you could drive from either area to Yarmouth in less than a day.) I would skip Halifax, but like I said, we were mostly wanting outdoor adventures, not bars/plays/museums/etc. Speaking of outdoor adventures - bring raingear so that you can hike in the rain if need be -- some of our favorite hikes turned out to be ones we did in the rain :)

Bay of Fundy -

We stayed at the Old Shipyard Beach and LOVED it....the sites and cabins are very close together, but are RIGHT on the bay -- it never gets old watching the tides come in and out and combing the beach for sea glass, sand dollars, interesting rocks, etc. They also have some delicious and inexpensive ice cream at the restaurant there :) Our favorite hikes in that area were

- Fundy Ridge Hike at Cape Chignecto - ask the ranger at the visitor's center for info - if you time the tides correctly you can shorten the hike and turn it into a loop by returning along the beach

- Anderson's Cove at Cape Chignecto Day Use area - the ranger at the main park can give you the info for this hike too, but make sure you take the short, steep trail (which is off of the Squally Point Loop Trail) down to Anderson's cove--and try to time it w/ low tide so you can walk around the rock formations.

We also ate at Wild Caraway which was delicious and reasonably priced.

(I think there is some really nice kayaking here too.)

- Five Islands Provincial park - at low tide hike left along the beach to rock formations and around the corner to views of beautiful cliffs. If you have a shovel you can also clam at low tide! Delicious, free, and muddy :)

If you opt for the South Shore instead here are our favorite hikes/activities -

-Ironworks Distillery in Lunenburg

-Hirtle's Beach - Gaff Point hike - trailpeak.com/trail-Gaff-Point-near-Lunenbur…

-La Have bakery in LaHave

-Carter's Beach - white sand, blue water -- lovely! nsbeaches.com/beaches/carters-beach.php

-Harbour Rocks trail in Keji Seaside - beautiful sandy beaches, turquoise water, easy flat hiking

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but hopefully this will give you some more ideas! We were so glad we decided to go to Nova Scotia (and it entailed over 24 hours of driving w/ 3 children 5 and under)...we found it to be beautiful, peaceful, and full of friendly people.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,035 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

wow, choseN319, this is a great trip report and I will be adding it to our Trip Reports page. It is always great to hear the experiences of visitors.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

WONDERFUL info............Thanks SO much for taking the time!! This will help fine tune our visit!!! Happy Trails!! Jay

8. Re: Suggestions for Nova Scotia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 23, 2015