We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in RV

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Traveling in RV

Best place to centrally camp and can we rent a car to travel around?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,238 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in RV

Nova Scotia is huge. Central to what exactly?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in RV

Also, how long do you plan on being up in Nova Scotia? Do you have any ambitions to see New Brunswick and or PEI?

3. Re: Traveling in RV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:11 pm, February 01, 2014
Edited: 1:11 pm, February 01, 2014
Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in RV

We did not know if we could use one camp ground. Should we try to to camp in southern area for a few days and sight see. And then go to a campground in the north. We do not tow a car.

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in RV

We do not have a time frame, we would like to see as much as possible. From what I have read

we need at least 12 days just to do Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in RV

I am glad you found your way back here.

I would say 12 says would barely allow you to see all areas of Nova Scotia. Two weeks would be better. You may want to limit yourself to two are three areas.

You will be slowed down if you base yourself in one place as there will be more back and forth travelling. But without a 'toad' (car you tow) you would not be able to do much from any base as we have next to no public transportation. The only place this might work would be in Halifax.

You may be much better off touring from place to place. The alternative would be to travel by car and stay in motels or budget accommodations.

Have a look at some recent trip reports posted by other travellers: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

Also go to the search bar below and put in terms which you may find relevant - RV, camping, 12 days, base, etc.

You can also use the search feature to learn more about particular places.

You can go here to the NS travel website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in RV

Thanks for responding. Are you saying there is no place to rent cars for the time we are going to be there?

We hopedt we could leave our RV at a campsite as a base, and have the car to travel. We would use hotels on site seeing trips.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling in RV

There are car rental companies in the big cities :

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=car+rentals+in+Nova+Scotia&fb=1&gl=us&hq=car+rentals&hnear=0x4b591298de18cf45:0x102581ef8cf0940,Nova+Scotia,+Canada&ei=h3LuUuv7E4PYoASczoLQCg&ved=0CNEBELYD

So when you are doing your sightseeing trips you will still have to pay for a campsite & a hotel on top of the RV rental, cost of gas, km charges for both the motor home & car. Doesn't sound like much of a savings to me.

Gas prices currently are anywhere from $1.30 - 1.39 liter.

Not that I am trying to discourage you from your trip, but hopefully helping you make an informed decision.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling in RV

I'm sorry I missed that you want to rent. Yes there are lots of places to rent a car.

You can also go to http://www.canada411.ca/ and check the listings for towns where you may wish to base yourself.

Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling in RV

What are "km" charges for cars