We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nova Scotia

My wife and I are planning a trip to NS the end of August. It's our 40th wedding anniversary so we'd like to stay in some nice places and see as much of the scenery as possible. Won't have time for museums but enjoy walking and visiting historical places outside.

I know we are pushing it but plan on taking the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth on August 21st. Was thinking of going to Digby that day if we can arrive early enough. I've been looking through the Doers guide and it's overwhelming. One area that looks like it would be worthwhile is Cape Breton but I'm not sure we have enough time to make the complete circle. We need to return to Bar Harbor by the evening of Friday the 25th. Actually, I understand the ferry doesn't run on Friday so we'd return on Thursday. I'm afraid we'll spend so much time driving and packing each day that we'll be exhausted. One of our original plans was to find a place we could stay for a few days and do day trips to avoid all of the daily moving. Would it make sense for us to go directly to someplace like Halifax and just to day trips and skip Cape Breton? If so, I'd like a recommendation and a nice place to stay on the coast if you wouldn't mind.

I know this is a lot to ask about but would sure appreciate any insight you could provide. Thank you very much."

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nova Scotia

Hi again Tom 1947"

You will surely enjoy the Dauphinee Inn"

I was there for supper earlier this week and it's consistently very good. A really good choice of accomodation I think.

Have a look at these sites for accomodation in Annapolis Royal"

www.baileyhouse.ca

www.garrisonhouse.ca

For Smith's Cove"

www.theharbourviewinn.com

regards............

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Nova Scotia

Actually, with our daughter working in Lunenburg at a computer gaming studio, we visit the area often. My feelings have to do with how the average person can't afford to keep their homes of several generations due to the influx of others spending big bucks for summer property and driving up taxes. This a govt. issue and perhaps they should double tax non residents as they do in PEI.

As for Peggys Cove, I just can't see the attraction. Reminds of driving around Lake Superior.

I'm a proponent of all of Nova Scotia with leanings to the eastern shore as you are to the south shore. Just have to express myself sometimes.

By the way, have you tried the Keltic Frenchman restaurant near Hirtle Beach?

Oh, and the Magdalen Islands were teriffic. Will have to do a review on the Quebec site.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nova Scotia

I think it's the Kilted Frenchmen oneeyedlove"

No, I haven't been there yet, but a friend of mine from the Rose Bay area is encouraging me to do so. Although quite basic and informal, I hear the food is fairly good and they are adding more seafood options to their menu. The deck was not yet open when my friend was last there. I wonder what the view is like ..?

Have you had the chance to check this place out ?

Not many choices in that area and I hope they have a successful season all the same. I'll check your review on the Quebec forum of the Mag Islands..Glad you enjoyed that...

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Nova Scotia

Was there with the family Friday evening. There is really no view to speak of. Of course we were there at the end of "Beryl"

My nephew, an Upper Canadian chef who has worked a few places in the Niagra region and currently on the lake boats, was quite impressed with the menu. I think he was doing some figuring in his noggin because he reckoned they were turning over the tables about 3 times that night.

I was disapointed with the wine list as they had only 2 wines from Nova Scotia, both from Grand Pre, but on the upside Propeller Bitter was on tap.

I'm a basic meat and potatoes person but found the lamb burger good and my wife enjoyed the spagehtti carbinera.

The side sauces were quite tasty also. Gotta go my pot roast needs checking.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Nova Scotia

Blondie

You should try the local cult of church/community suppers.

Check out www.baroing.googlepages.com/supperreviews

There is one coming up on Tancook Island very soon.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nova Scotia

My husband and I recently ate at the Kilted Frenchman to celebrate our anniversary. There is no view to speak of (it does not overlook the water). We were impressed with our meal and would definitely return. The steaks were tender and very flavourful. The proprieter (Debbie) was most accomodating following a mix-up in our reservation (which really was our own fault) and went out of her way to make things up to us. Highly recommended.