We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

We have been to NS before and seen Peggy's Cove, but quickly passed through Lunenburg and Shelburne, never got to Yarmouth. We'd like advice as to how to spend 6 nights prior to returning to Halifax for our flight back. (We will have stayed in Peggy's Cove, been with friends in Kentville, and PEI, have "done" the northern part of NS…so want to experience more of the southern coastal area.) I'm thinking of 3 nights in Lunenburg and 3 in Shelburne which allows us to cover the places in between. Our interest is photography. I think we'd prefer to not do a lot of 1-night stays. Prefer B and B's.

Any suggestions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

Have you considered Saint John, NB? A three night stay there and a ferry ride over to Digby could allow you to get to Shelburne for a three night stay...

texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

Thanks…but we're coming up from Maine, etc…been to St. John, done that…doing Digby with friends from Kentville, and staying two days in Hopewell Rocks area…so have done all that…only interested in the southern coast of NS at this time (have spent almost a month there doing the rest of the area before.) Can't take rental car on any ferries…that's why we've changed our plans…had been planing to revisit NF for 6 days…not happening now.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,353 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

OOps you posted more info as i was doing this so ignore most of it'

we took a rental car out of Montreal on the St |John Digby ferry in 2010

I assume you are driving

I would recommend 2 nighst each

Charlottetown to Saint John NB via Shediac and Moncton along the coast for 2 nights in St John or 1 in Moncton and 1 in St John

Ferry over to Digby for 2 nights in Yartmouth then 2 nights in Lunenburg or Mahone Bay.

this route will give you lots of photo opportunities if you follow the coast road as shown on the map and only use the highways if you want to get there quicker. http://tinyurl.com/m4eunng

Edited: 9:29 pm, November 15, 2013
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

I am not an expert on the South Shore, but I think three nights in the Lunenburg area and three further down the coast towards Shelburne would be great for what you want. I love the Pubnicos and there are great beaches all over. The beach at Lockeport comes to mind.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

Not sure why you can't take a rental car on a ferry ... I do it all the time.

However ... both Lunenburg and Shelburne are good bases to see communities such as Mahone Bay, Chester, Le Havre, Petite Riviere, etc. Make sure you drive along the coast, as opposed to the main highway ... better opportunities to stop at scenic spots for meals, photo opps,etc.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

Re: Rental cars on ferries. I have no idea what the fine print is like here but this may be something to check into: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k69862…

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

There are many lovely B&Bs in the South Shore also known as the Lighthouse Trail) area so please check www.nsbedandbreakfast.com, the website of the Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association.

As suggested, the Acadian Shores area is well worth visiting. Both Le Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Ecosse (acadianvillage.museum.gov.ns.ca) & the Musee des Acadiens des Pubnico (museeacadien.ca) in West Pubnico will give you the seafaring history of the early settlers.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

if you haven't already, check www.novascotia.com for lots of info. The 2014 tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" should be available in March.

There are many great areas along the South Shore for photo opportunities & as already mentioned, keep to the coastal roads. Just a couple of favourite beaches of mine are Hawk Beach on Cape Sable Island near Clark's Harbour; and Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct at Port Joli not far from Liverpool. Of course there are many other beaches along that coastline.

A good choice to spend 3 nights in 2 different areas. I like the personality of Mahone Bay more so than Lunenburg but that is a personal preference.

www.townofmahonebay.ca

www.lunenburgns.com

I'm sure that you will have an enjoyable trip. Take advantage of the local tourist info centres during your travels. They can give you directions to out-of-the -way places and inform you of any events in that area.

Edited: 9:57 am, November 17, 2013
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

In terms of B&B's not sure if you are asking for recommendations- Trip Advisor ratings are usually quite accurate.

However here is a few of personal favorites- Lunenburg Bluenose Lodge and Bay Leaf eatery reincarnated and excellent!.

White Point Beach- Hunts Point near Liverpool.

Ye Olde Argyler in Tusket is also great spot.

I also second the French Shore around Meteghan - Cape View Motel and Cottages they are just basic but the beach is fabulous right at your front door.

10. Re: Need advice for 6 nights after leaving PEI…Lunenburg, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 19, 2014