We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

We have not visited NS before. Is it easy to find an ATM where we can use a VISA card? What about when we are areas well away from large towns eg Cape Breton Island.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

There are ATMs almost everywhere. Be sure your card doesn't nail you for foreign transaction fees... UK cards vary wildly with their foreign surcharges...

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/ will answer your question for any location in the world!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,189 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

An observation from me. VISA usually means credit card. If you withdraw money from an ATM with a credit card, you will accrue interest charges from the moment of withdrawal. That can become expensive. If you use a bank debit card (and I know VISA has both cc and dc built in to some of their cards) you may just be charged a %age fee and the foreign exchange rate on the day the bank processes the transaction. Your bank will let you know that %age fee and any other bank charges they apply. Use an ATM attached to a financial institution with the same logo that you find on the back of your card. Using the "white" machines which can be found in convenience stores like 7-Eleven and some hotel lobbies can be more expensive to use.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Visa debit cards are extremely common in the UK. You're right, though, that getting cash via an ATM from a Visa _credit_ card would be much more costly.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Visa cards like Post Office have zero foreign transaction fees, others are mind bogglingly expensive.

Read the fine print!

Cheers,

Terry

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful. I've seen on their website that VISA credit cards no longer charge interest from date of cash withdrawal, just a foreign currency handling charge. Most UK ATMs dont make an additional charge for use, but a few do. Sounds like in NS those in hotels and convenience stores would make an additional charge. Will try to find the right flavour of bank ATM

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

I would check that very carefully... cash advance fees on credit cards are almost universal. Those fees may be set by the bank, not by Visa, and it's a question of what interest is charged and when. E.g. for HSBC's Visa credit card, hsbc.co.uk/1/…interest-rates , cash advances are charged at a higher rate of interest and those interest charges start right away (vs. with purchases, where interest is only charged if you keep a balance between bills).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,189 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Mazzy, can you post a link to the page on their website that says that? I would be quite interested to know about that, although I'm sure it's for a Brit card.

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Yes I am assuming it is for UK customers. I got the info from

barclaycard.co.uk/personal/…spending-abroad

and also from

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…checker

Hope I have understood this all correctly. Obviously you have to repay the balance in full, to avoid extra charges. They used to charge foreign currency withdrawals at cash machines outside the UK as cash advances, but this new pattern has been in place for a while.

I suspect that some ATMs will make their own additional charges though. It is happening more in the UK.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,189 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: finding an ATM that takes VISA cards

Thanks for posting the link. It's all very interesting. It's so difficultt for me to believe a bank would give someone a break. I can't help but think they will get their "blood, sweat and tears" from you some other way. Remember too that foreign exchange is different than cash withdrawal interest using a CC. I'm curious as well about the pre-apply eligibility process. I will be interested to read Matt's take on this.

Just double check this:

You'll pay this single non-sterling transaction fee whether you buy something with your card or withdraw cash*

and the accompanying asterisk comment further down the page:

* Barclays Infinite Card, Open Plan Gold, Barclays Premier Infinite Card, CSMA Credit Card, Caravan Club Credit Card, Barclaycard i24, Littlewoods Visa, Mobile Contactless Payments use different pricing structures. Cards from other providers may also levy separate charges.