We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Here is what I have for our trip to Nova Scotia in August. I have made reservations at these places, so I wouldn't be able to change those at this time. But take a look and see if, in your opinion, I am missing something worth seeing. Also, if you think I should cut something out. Just looking for suggestions. Want to pack in as much as we can in the time we have. Any suggestions appreciated. As stated in my earlier post a few months ago, my husband and I are going by ourselves. We are both 49 yrs. od. We both love the outdoors, he loves to fish, I am into photography.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

You didn't put down your itinerary!

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Oops! Here it is:

NOVA SCOTIA

THURSDAY, DAY 1 – August 22

Halifax to Mahone Bay, if time, then to Lunenburg . Spend night in Lunenburg. Staying at Top Mast – RESERVED Eat at Grand Banker Bar & Grill OR Knot Pub

FRIDAY, DAY – August 23

Go deep sea fishing in the am. Lunenburg Ocean Adventures 8am – 12pm. Reservations made! Lunenburg to Mahone Bay (if not night before) then to Peggy’s Cove, then Wolfville. Go to Hall’s Harbor Lobster Pound. Drive to Truro. Spend the night here. Tulips & Thistle B & B. –RESERVED Eat @ Murphy’s Fish & Chips?

SATURDAY, DAY 3 – August 24

Drive to Maitland, go tidal bore rafting (12:55 RIVER RUNNERS) Reservations made – short trip. Be there by noon! Drive to Prince Edward Island. Victoria by the Sea, etc. Spend next 2 nights at Island Home B & B. St. Dunstans’ Basilica –RESERVED

SUNDAY, DAY 4 – August 25

MacPhail Homestead, Rustico, Cavendish, Lobster supper somewhere, maybe kayak. Spend night again Island Home B & B. RESERVED

MONDAY, DAY 5 – August 26

Take ferry to Caribou 11:15 ferry. Drive to Pictou. Spend part of day here. Drive to Mabou . Ceilidh Trail. Spend night at Inn at Glendyer, Mabou. Red Shoe Pub – RESERVED

TUESDAY, DAY 6 – August 27

Cape Breton Trail, Cheticamp, Pleasant Bay. Whale watch this day or next morning. Pleasant Bay area. Spend night at Highland Breeze B & B. RESERVED

WEDNESDAY, DAY 7 – August 28

Drive to Baddeck. Alexander Bell Museum. Spend day looking around? Spend night at Heritage House B&B. Go to a ceilidh. RESERVED

THURSDAY, DAY 8 – August 29

Baddeck to Louisborg – See fort and area. Stay at Point of View Suites. Beggar’s Banquet. Spend night in Louisborg. RESERVED OCEANFRONT ROOM & BEGGAR’S BANQUET TICKETS.

FRIDAY, DAY 9 – August 30

Louisborg to Halifax. Citidal & St. Mary’s Basilica. Stay at Courtyard -RESERVED

SATURDAY, DAY 10 – August 31

Come home!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

This looks fine except for Friday the 23rd.

Going from Halifax to Lunenburg is and easy drive. Take the shore roads. You should visit Peggy's Cove this day. If it is lunch time, check out Ryer's Lobster pound where they will cook it for you and provide the trimmings and tables, etc. for your feast.

You will go through Mahone Bay so you can see it then. The best view of Mahone Bay and its famous three churches is before you get there looking across the bay.

Now when you get to Lunenburg you will not be backtracking to see Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove: http://goo.gl/maps/HxpVd

It is too bad you are staying in Truro instead of Wolfville. You do not have enough time in Wolfville to tour wineries, visit Grand Pre or take some scenic drives or see the change in tides at Hall's Harbour.

I gather you are not into fine dining with your choices! If you are we can make suggestions.

Manistique, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Hi Maryann,

Thanks for your suggestions. The reason I am backtracking on Friday is because they've changed our flight itinerary :( At first we would have flown into Halifax at 12 noon, now we don't get in until 4:10pm. So I didn't think we would have time to see Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove, etc. And because I really want to see them, I am backtracking that day. I'm hoping to spend some time in Wolfville or Hall's Harbour to see the tides. I'll have to look them up and see what times they will be.

As for dining, we're not the real fine dining kind of people, lol. We just wanted this to be a casual vacation, and not have to dress up for dinner. thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Well that all makes sense, but you will have almost no time in Wolfville and Hall's Harbour.

You can check here for tide times: bayoffundytourism.com/tides/times/vBaxters Harbour is west of Hall's Harbour and seems to be the nearest on for tide times. They will likely be a few minutes later in Hall's Harbour.

The tide will be full high shortly after 2 pm and then be fully out after 8 pm. So you will be seeing it at a fairly high tide.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

Hi Upgrammy!

As a local of both Truro and Wolfville, I would echo Maryann's suggestion that you spend more time in Wolfville (and perhaps consider changing your plans to stay there overnight). It is a beautiful town and your schedule doesn't give you enough time to appreciate it - it is really a destination, whereas Truro is more of a "passing-through" town. Your plans on both August 23 and 24 can easily support a night in Wolfville instead, as your August 24 desitnation (Maitland) is an easy 1.5 hour drive from Wolfville. Here's my suggestion:

FRIDAY, DAY – August 23

Go deep sea fishing in the am. Lunenburg Ocean Adventures 8am – 12pm. Reservations made! Lunenburg to Mahone Bay (if not night before) then to Peggy’s Cove, then check in to a local inn or B&B in Wolfville. Go to Hall’s Harbor Lobster Pound. Return to Wolfville.

SATURDAY, DAY 3 – August 24

Go to Wolfville Farmers Market. Drive to Maitland, go tidal bore rafting (12:55 RIVER RUNNERS) Reservations made – 1.5 hour trip. Be there by noon! Drive to Truro, eat at Murphy's Fish & Chips for an early supper. Drive to Prince Edward Island. Victoria by the Sea, etc. Spend next 2 nights at Island Home B & B. St. Dunstans’ Basilica –RESERVED

I've just come home from a surprise visit to PEI and stayed at the Island Home B & B, and it was wonderful. A few casual but tasty places to eat are:

Island Preserve Company in Hunter River (just off the highway between Summerside and Charlottetown

http://preservecompany.com/

New Glasgow Lobster Supper (also near Hunter River)

http://peilobstersuppers.com/

The Landing in Tyne Valley

http://thelandingpei.com/

Gahan House in Charlottetown

http://www.gahan.ca/

Even if you don't make any changes to your itinerary, it's clear you did a lot of planning and you will definitely have a wonderful trip. Well done!

Edited: 12:58 pm, July 24, 2013
7. Re: Itinerary for trip to Nova Scotia (revised)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 26, 2014