We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

NY
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

Just decided yesterday to visit Nova Scotia for our last week in July vacation so I have to make some decisions quickly & need help!

1. We're heading from Long Island but I was thinking of taking ferry to New London, CT and start from there. Would like to break the trip into maybe 8 hours of driving or even less and then spend the night some scenic town in Maine. Was thinking of stopping in Portland, but I think that leaves a lot of driving the next day to get to NS (I think). Any suggestions for a nice area to spend the first night in Maine & still not leave the bulk of the driving the following day?

2. In Nova Scotia, would like to rent bikes, kayak (scenic & peaceful- not a hair raising adventure), easy hikes, shops, good food...Where is the best region for that? A good central location to tour around and see as much as we can in 5 days would be great.

3. One last question- We will have our 15 y/o son with us and if there is a nice hotel to end the trip that has Wi-Fi, pool, etc (apparently he has turned into a hotel critic and would like all the amenities, LOL).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Maine
Maine
United States
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

That's great you are coming here.

Bangor would be about halfway from New London to the Nova Scotia border. You could stop anywhere from there on. I would suggest the lovely little resort town of St. Andrews New Brunswick. Then the next day you could get as far as Halifax or some other areas of Nova Scotia easily.

http://goo.gl/maps/1ynNr

If you take the best part of two days to drive here and back, how many nights will you be in Nova Scotia?

Do some research here on the Nova Scotia visitors website:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Look at other posts on the Nova Scotia page where you posted this: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_S…

Notice the post near the top showing previous trip reports as well.

With the very limited time you have, you will probably have to choose between Cape Breton and mainland Nova Scotia. In Cape Breton there should be great kayaking on Bras D'Or Lake. Try doing a search below. I found these sites by googling: http://www.paddledog.ca/

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g499213-d66…

On the mainland check out kayaking in Kejimkujik National Park: pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…activ4.aspx

If you choose the mainland look into places such as Lunenburg or Wolfville. This is a central area with lots of places to explore.

As for a place to stay with a pool and wi-fi, there are lots in Halifax. There are wonderful resort places in other places, but pools are not too common. However you may be near a lake or the ocean.

Choose an area you are interested in and then look at accommodation on the novascotia.com website above or here on Trip Advisor.

http://goo.gl/maps/G9zRW look on this map and see the area which includes keji, Wolfville, Halifax and Lunenburg.

Or here would be a route to see some of Cape Breton: http://goo.gl/maps/oSYFr

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
London
London
England, UK
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Wolfville
Wolfville
NY
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

Oh wow- thank you Maryann! Such great information. I will look into all the links you provided and see which area would fit our criteria and limited time (probably 5 nights). Everywhere looks so beautiful its going to be so hard to decide. I really appreciate your expertise!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

We drove from Halifax, NS to Uncasville, CT a couple of months ago. Bangor, Maine would be your best halfway point if you plan to stay in Maine for your first night.

Cape Chignecto is a beautiful and popular spot for kayaking and hiking. Try searching on Google Images for Cape Chignecto, you'll see the gorgeous pictures! Five Islands Provincial Park is also on the same end of the province. This entire region is beautiful.

There are many easy hiking spots in all areas of Nova Scotia.

Also, there are many beautiful white sandy beaches along the south shore of Nova Scotia, the best ones are from Liverpool to Shelburne. I'd recommend staying at the brand new White Point Beach Resort (rebuilt after a fire) which is on the beach, and also a close drive to Kejimukujik Park (just refer to it as "Keji") pronounced Kedge - Gee. It's much easier to say and that's what all of us locals call it for short! :) No sense making the locals smile while trying to say the long name.

(I do remember visiting Skanteateles, NY once and having a hard time figuring out how to say this!)

The Quarterdeck Beachside Villas would also be nice too. They are on Summerville Beach and also a short drive to Keji as well. I believe that Keji has bike rentals, and canoe and kayak rentals too. This is a scenic and peaceful spot.

Here is a website with some ideas:

http://www.novatrails.com/

Also - if you aren't familiar with Lyme Disease carried by ticks, please read the information on this page so you can protect yourself. Don't worry, if you are hiking on trails, it is very rare that you would have a tick on you, I've been hiking for many years and it hasn't happened yet. But if you have a dog, be careful not to let him roll in the grass.

I hope that you have a wonderful trip to Nova Scotia, we love visiting NY!

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Maine
Maine
United States
Shelburne
Shelburne
4. Re: NY to Nova Scotia: Best Routes & regions. Suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 11, 2014