We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another itinerary question

MA
Level Contributor
60 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another itinerary question

My husband and I (mid 50's) are coming to Nova Scotia in late August for a week max from the Boston area. We are not museum people. Like to drive, look at scenery, beach, drink (maybe stop at wineries and the distillery) and eat.

This was our original plan starting on August 24th.

Day 1 - Arrive early afternoon and stay in Hopewell Rocks Area. This will be a long day for us as it is about 8 1/2 hours. Hopefully arrive in time to catch the high tides at Fundy National Park.

Day 2 - Next morning, see low tides and walk the ocean floor at Fundy. Perhaps take a kayak excursion. Drive and stay in Mabou for 2 nights.

Day 3 - Take in west coastline of the Cabot Trail. Go to Inverness Beach (btw does it really close Aug 24th?). Go to the red shoe.

Day 4 - Drive the Cabot Trail. Hike the Skyline Trail. Stay in Baddeck as a stopping point to get to Halifax..

Day 5 - Drive to Halifax. Stay for 2 or 3 nights. Do day trips to Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg area.

After reading so many posts about Advocate Harbour and Wild Caraway I think we have to change our itinerary. Now I'm thinking of doing something like this.

Day 1 - Stay in Saint John. Drive the Fundy Trail Parkway.

Day 2 - Drive and overnight in Halifax for 2 nights.

Day 3 - Overnight in Halifax. Do side trip to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg.

Day 4 - Drive to Baddeck or somewhere further up along the east coast of the Cabot Trail and stay overnight..

Day 5 - Drive the Cabot Trail. Hike the Skyline Trail. Overnight in Inverness area but go to Red Shoe in Mabou.

Day 6 - Drive to Advocate Harbour and see the tides from there, hopefully have time to take a kayak excursion. Overnight here and next day drive the very long drive home.

I guess I have questions as to whether we really need to stay two nights on CBI and whether we can see the Fundy Tides in one day. Also, this would be so much easier if we could wing it but from what I've heard, accommodations around this time of year can be hard to come by.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Janice

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another itinerary question

If you are interested in wineries, the Grand Pre/Wolfville area in Annapolis Valley is the place to visit. It's only an hrs drive from Halifax & there are at least 7 very good wineries in the area. www.winesofnovascotia.ca

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another itinerary question

Your plan is fine except that you cannot drive to Advocate Harbour and have time for a kayak trip unless you can book one in the late afternoon. You will be there long enough to see the tides and you should be able to see the driftwood beach and Cape D'Or.

You could cut some time out of Cape Breton by not going on the Skyline Trail so I guess it is between that and the kayaking in Advocate Harbour. Check on when the kayaking is available on the day you want. I believe it is somewhat dependent upon the tides.

MA
Level Contributor
60 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another itinerary question

Funny, Maryann, I woke up today thinking the same thing - that we might have to skip the kayaking. If we go to Hopewell, the kayak excursion there is only 3 hours. In Advocate Harbour, the kayak excursion is all day. And the general consensus is that Advocate is much less touristy than Hopewell but the tides are just as visible/impressive? Basically we will be seeing the three sisters instead of the flowerports? Do you agree?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another itinerary question

I have not kayaked at either place so I cannot comment. For sure Advocate Harbour and area are less touristy.

I think the tides are higher at Advocate Harbour as well.

http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

Edited: 10:01 am, July 05, 2013
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another itinerary question

For your kayaking the two destinations are quite different. As noted, Hopewell is a very high volume touristy place well advertised by NB tourism. The Cape Chignecto destination is a wild, remote area. Cape Chignecto's Three Sisters is a more rugged area, just recently opened up on what is for the last 10 km a gravel road. Instead of the low sedimentary rock faces at Hopewell, the Three Sister are of volcanic origins, larger and more difficult to get to, hence the longer tours. The Sisters have a background not founded in tourism, but in the legends of Glooscap from the Mi'kmaq - the indigenous people of the region. Both areas run the tours with the tide schedule, which changes daily. While Hopewell kayak tours can only run on high tide due to the mud shores, which result in paddling in the brown waters found in the muddy sections of the bay, at Chignecto the waters are clear blue to jade colors as the bottom is beach stone and sand and high water isn't required. If you are really rushed for time though, the Hopewell destination is definitly the place to go. You can read a bit more about the Chignecto (Advocate) destination here: Link to Outside magazine on top paddling spot on the east coast.

outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-ame…

www.thepaddler.co.uk/expnovascotia.html

Edited: 12:31 pm, July 05, 2013
6. Re: Yet another itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 07, 2014