We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

Flying into Halifax (myself, husband two boys 6&9) July 9. Getting car rental from airport 3 pm

Realistic itinerary?

Want to leave for PEI on the 12th

July 9-10 Halifax, Lunenberg. Titanic sites

July 10-12 - Cabot trail

July 12 head to ferry

I feel like we're not getting much time to do a lot!

I've made a tentative reservation at Baddeck Cabot Trail campground. Any feedback on that?

Is it a good place to maybe camp for 2 days , explore Cabot trail and use as a base to return to at the end of the day? Or better to move after day 1?

Anywhere between Cape Breton and the ferry to PEI that you would recommend stopping in?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

You seem to have too much in on the 9 -10 . It'll be an hour plus to get to Lunenburg , so you are also doing Halifax on the 10th and getting to Cape Breton on the 10th., to camp ??? Halifax to the entry point of Cape Breton is al least 2 hours 40 minutes at top speed, then you have an hour plus to where ever you are going , so that in driving time is at least 6 hours if you were to leave from Lunenburg .

You can zip into Halifax and out if all you want to see are the Titanic graves , but they are in two locations . although one gets all the press . The real thing to see is the Maritime Museum where there is a large Titanic display and several items , etc.

You can travel the Cabot trail either way. The west coast, up to Pleasant Bay where you all along the coast t seeing the horizon is to me far better place to camp that on a lake inland .

If you like the best camp spot , Look at the Corney Brook campground in the Park . You are right in that postcard location right on a cliff where you can maybe see whales or moose . Its just camping but also has a common house .

You could stay there , do your stuff , travel over to Ingonish and then loop back , so the next day you head for the ferry or you could go to Baddeck for the next day . The trip from Cheticamp around to Baddeck is like 4 hours driving time ; take the Englishtown ferry BTW .

You want to do a mapquest of your whole trip to look at the times for the routes you have . You can do it , but it's sounding pretty tight .

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

I just read in another one of your posts here you have from the 9th to the 22nd to get to Ottawa , that is 13 days on the ground. I don't know what's involved with car rentals, but how are you doing that to get from Halifax to Ottawa ? You are also coming to Halifax, flying from St.John's . Can you bring a rental car to the ferry at Port aux basques and drop off there ??

You have your hands full with two boys as well as you'll need to get them out of the car once an hour at least . And you'll want to stop at a beach somewhere on the 10th , and that needs 2-3 hours to enjoy , and the best and warmest are also along this west coast .

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

It would really help if you could write out your itinerary saying where you will spend each night. You will see that you cannot be in Halifax, Lunenburg and Cape Breton easily in one day.

July 9 Halifax. Maritime Museum and Titanic graves.

July 10 drive to Cape Breton stay in Corney Brook

etc.

Here is a map for July 10: http://goo.gl/maps/II5Mq

This is a five hour 17 minute drive without stopping or traffic.

The last spot on the map is Corney Brook. cabottrail.travel/cbhnp/accommodations.cfm… It would be a wonderful place to camp. The next day you could continue around the Cabot Trail. You could go whale watching from Pleasant Bay or go on some short hikes such as Middlehead near Ingonish.. You could spend the night of the 11th in Baddeck or area.

Another possibility would be to stay in the park near Cheticamp the first night and go whale watching early the next day or walk the Skyline Trail, and then continue driving the rest of the Cabot Trail spending the night of the 11th in Baddeck and leaving on the 12th for PEI.

http://goo.gl/maps/TejDo

Corney Brook is 15 km north of Cheticamp and the Cheticamp camping site in the park is 8 km north of Cheticamp so there is not much difference.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping.aspx

http://www.cabottrail.com/info/hiking.htm

http://goo.gl/maps/nmLa7

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

We are picking up and dropping off our car in NL. Flying into Halifax, picking up car and dropping off at airport in Toronto where we will fly home from. We have a 1 way drop rental.

We get into Halifax at 3pm. I figured we could get in a trip to Lunenburg (which I'm not totally set on) and find a place to camp that night near to Halifax. Spend the 10th in Halifax, head out mid afternoon to drive to Cape Breton.

I've found a cabin rental at Baddeck campground for two nights. Instead of tenting for those 2 short days we're treating ourself.

I'm trying to get an idea of if its a good campground to use as a base for us to see a good chunk of Cape Breton/ Cabot trail.

It's just me driving so we would definitely take breaks along the way for the boys and myself!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

Thanks for the alternate camping ideas. I will look into them.

I appreciate the time taken to respond.

Planning this trip has been an experience in itself!!

It's overwhelming to think that we won't get to see anywhere near what each province has to offer in only 2-4 days.

If we gave Lunenburg a miss would we regret that to spend more time in Halifax and Cape Breton?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

You for sure will regret not having more time!

You cannot get the car, go to Lunenburg and later drive somewhere and set up camp. You will have to pass on Lunenburg.

As for Cape Breton, you have to decide what you and your family would want to do. It will be no fun for two young kids to do nothing but drive.

Pick some activities that you can do and work your plan around them. To me the best views, hiking and camping are in the National Park area on the west coast of Cape Breton. Others will tell you of all the wonderful things in the Baddeck area. You cannot do it all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

Another plug for the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic for your Titanic fans.

…gov.ns.ca/mmanew/…TitanicHalifax.aspx

If you keep an eye out in the museum there are things to touch and do for your children. I'm not sure if it's still working but usually there is a breeches buoy on the ceiling with a rope at one wall. If you pull the rope, you make this safety device move out across the room and back. With some imagination, you can pretend you are helping the stranded sailors off the deck of their schooner safely back to shore. Etc.

The museum is right downtown on the boardwalk area. It's easy to walk from there to where you can get an ice cream cone and watch the harbour etc. One time we were there someone had set up a touch tank with sea creatures to get a close look at.

Cemeteries are ok but I'm not sure how interesting they are to young children for more than 20 seconds.

You could email them to make sure the Titanic exhibit is wide open and ready for business if you want. I do see some mention on construction on their website, but I'm not sure where.

8. Re: 3.5 days Halifax-Cabot trail baddeck campground q's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2014