We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

We'd like to see bay of fundy, cape Hopewell rocks, parrsboro, five isands, cabot trail, Halifax, peggy's cove and Lunenburg and Digby. We are not interested in Louisbourg.

We like celtic music, scenic views, light hiking, seafood, local crafts, outdoor markets.

Any information on what order to do various towns etc would be appreciated. We are flying into Halifax around 12 noon. How many days do we need for cabot trail? Should we stay 2 nights around Cheticamp and 2 nights on the other side of trail. Also which way - counter or clockwise on the cabot trail?

Cheryl

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

I would spend 2 days in Halifax, with day trips to Peggys Cove and Lunenburg. Then head to the scenic Glooscap Trail (#2) . Around 2 hours from Halifax you will reach Five Islands. Good place there for lunch at Mo's http://www.mosatfiveislands.com/cafe.htm If you have your own lunch, or just want to stretch the legs, just down the road from Mo's is the Five Islands Lighthouse Park. From there it is 20 minutes to Parrsboro. Some nice B&Bs/Inns in Parrsboro, my favorite is www.gillespiehouseinn.com Parrsboro has the Ships Company theatre, geological museum and a nice walk at Partridge Island. 40 minutes further up the road is Advocate Harbour, its a very scenic drive through the 'mini Cabot trail' from Port Greville to Advocate. If you are into nature, scenery and outdoor activities Advocate is a fantastic destination - plus some of the best food in the province. www.wildcaraway.com - rated the best in the province. Some excellent light hikes at Cape Chignecto's Eatonville entrance. novascotiaparks.ca/parks/cape-chignecto.asp Some very special places to stay in Advocate, if you can get in. www.capedor.ca or www.driftwoodparkretreat.com are a couple of examples.

After leaving Advocate you could go check out the world heritage UNESCO site at Joggins www.jogginsfossilcliffs.com and then head to Cape Breton. If you still feel its necessary to head to Hopewell from Advocate you could, but it is a lot of driving out of your way. At Advocate there are the legendary Three Sisters you could check out instead - much larger sea stacks than found at Hopewell, but in a much less touristy location.

I would stay in Cheticamp and Ingonish - it doesn't matter which direction. Ive done it both ways and I cant say that one way was more interesting than the other.

This itinerary might give you some ideas on the route. novascotia.com/en/…winewhiskeyandwhales

Edited: 7:36 am, May 12, 2013
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,857 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

Do you want to go to Digby for whale watching? Otherwise it is a long way away from the other places you mention.

If you do a search below for ceilighs or "Cape Breton music" you should find some information. Also check out this site:

http://www.cbchoices.com/

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

Kayakdover has given you some great info above. Re Cape Breton depending how long you want to spend there I would include Baddeck area for one night. Lots to see and do there, Bell Museum is a must even if your not a museum person!! Easy drive to Iona and Highland Village wonderful scenery as well.

As Maryann mentions Digby is long way from other areas if it's for whale watching you could go from Pleasant Bay in Cape Breton?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,857 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

I see I misspelled 'ceilidh'.

PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

Any help with Nova Scotia/PEI 10 day trip is most appreciated! We will be flying to Halifax in mid July and renting a car. We are most interested in culture, history, scenery, nice B and B's, seafood, wineries. Would like to go to a good place to view the tides as well. Any ideas on an itinerary with hints where to stay, what to see? Thanks all!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,857 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

bttpiano, you should start your own thread so things do not get confused. Go here and click on 'Ask a question': tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_S…

7. Re: 10 day trip to NS in early September. Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 16, 2014