We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip advise needed

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip advise needed

Looking to drive to the East Coast and have no idea where to start. I don't even know what town to go to. We would like to be on the beach, whale watching is big on our list of things to do. Would like to go first week of August which I see is already booked up at lots of places. I just want a nice, clean resort/cottage with lots to do for my DD who is 7.

Digby, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip advise needed

I would suggest you start you try to rent a cabin at Upper Clements Cottages. http://www.upperclementscottages.ca/ They are located right next to the Theme Park and close to Digby, Annapolis Royal - take your child to Fort Anne, kids love the hills there and the town is right on the Annapolis River. Beautiful. Drive up the valley to Middleton, Kingston area and check out the Saltspray Cafe in Nictaux for the perfect Maritime meal and take a picture in their big yellow chair then head up to Evans farm and go through the Corn Maze and purchase fresh local produce. There is lots to do in Nova Scotia but those are just a few of my favorites.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip advise needed

Hello.

August is a great time to visit and that is why some places are booked already.

You can start by going to the main Nova Scotia website:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

This map will show you how we name our regions and where they are;

novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

Also do a search below, putting in terms such as whale watching to find previous posts.

The best whale watching in Nova Scotia is in the Digby/Brier Island area. The water in the Bay of Fundy is not warm so it is not the best place for a beach.

The South Shore of Nova Scotia from Halifax down to Yarmouth has some wonderful beaches, but the water is quite cold.

The warmest water is on the Northumberland Strait from the Amherst Shore area through Pugwash, Tatamagouche and Pictou and into Cape Breton.

The west coast of Cape Breton has whale watching from places such as Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay and there are some good beaches as well. The whales you see are not the biggest, but you will be entertained.

Check here for more information: novascotia.com/en/…whalewatching.aspx

You can look on the Nova Scotia website for places to stay and you can also look here on Trip Advisor;

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154967-Nova_Scotia-H…

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip advise needed

Thanks for the replies! I'm not really worried about a beach for swimming, I would more prefer a water view room and some where we can lounge and let DD play. I prefer pools for swimming. Looks like I have some places to start searching I already went to novascotia.com and ordered some brochures. I think whale watching would be our #1 priotity while there.

toronto
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip advise needed

There are so many separate, and varied, scenic areas in the Atlantic Provinces that visitors often plan a "touring" type vacation in order to visit more than one. That being said, Prince Edward Island is very popular with families with kids - especially around the Cavendish area which offers the most popular beach areas of PEI National Park, amusement parks, Anne of Green Gables related attractions, etc.

Personally I really enjoy Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. The Cabot Trail through Cape Breton Highlands National Park is one of North Americas top scenic drives, there are some very nice beaches, wildlife viewing, charming towns, etc.

As also mentioned above, the South Shore/Lighthouse Route of Nova Scotia southwest of Halifax is also very nice and has some beautiful, although cold water, beaches. Also some very nice Historic towns and many picturesque fishing villages. There is a good choice of waterfront accommodations along this shore including cabins, chalets and private cottages.

For whale-watching - as described, the Bay of Fundy off Brier Island Nova Scotia or Grand Manan Island New Brunswick is famous for the larger species. However, these are a little off-the-beaten track. The northern part of Cape Breton e.g. Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay, are also very popular for whale-watching for the smaller species and as Cape Breton is also appealing for its beauty and charm, this could make it a good destination choice for you.

Yes, the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 of August tend to be very popular for vacation especially with that first Monday in August being a Holiday Weekend making that week particularly busy. We usually visit in the last half of August which we find is a little less busy while offering very nice weather in general.

Edited: 1:29 pm, February 06, 2013
5. Re: Family trip advise needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 08, 2014