We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highland Games?

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Highland Games?

Hi everyone

Last year we spent 2 weeks in southern NB, northern NS (Parrsboro, Pictou areas) and PEI. We loved it so much that we are coming back this July to see more of NS. I am trying to see if we can catch the Highland Games as part if our visit.

Currently there are only the dates listed on their website of July 7-14th. Since we would likely be going through Antigonish either July 7 or 10th, would there likely be much Games related activities to see? I get the feeling that the 11-14th are when the main attractions happen. There is unfortunately no way we can push our visit any later in the week because we coming from Ontario and want to be home before the 14th (my son's birthday). Any thoughts from those who have been?

Also, would three days be good for Halifax?

Our tentative itinerary is:

Day 1: drive from Ontario to Oromocto, NB

Day 2: arrive in Halifax by noonish, see Peggys Cove

Day 3: Canada Day in Halifax, maybe the Citadel

Day 4: Museums, Fort McNab, ?

Day 5: Lunenburg, drive to Annapolis Royale

Day 6: Fort Anne/Port Royale, wineries, spend night around Windsor

Day 7: more wineries and sites, night in Antigonish or Port Hawksbury

Day 8: Glenora Distillery, night in Pleasant Bay (whale watching hopefully)

Day 9: CB Highlands Park, night in Sydney

Day 10: Fort Louisburg maybe Miners Museum, night in Baddeck

Day 11: Alexander Graham Bell Museum, Highland Village, night in Port Hawksbury or Antigonish

From there we will start making our way home. Last year we put 6200 km on our car - wondering what this year's total will be lol

Thank! Debbie

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,933 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highland Games?

You can see highland games in Pugwash on July 1. The website has not been updated yet, but it is always July 1 except when it falls on a Sunday which it did last year. There will be entertainment and fireworks that evening. You could consider rearranging your schedule to go there. (Actually here, since I live in Pugwash!)

http://www.pugwashvillage.com/gathering.html

There is no final schedule for Antigonish either, but is has traditionally been around July 15 so I think you are correct that the major event will be later in the week.

http://www.antigonishhighlandgames.ca/

There are also games in Halifax, but I could not discover when.

Yarmouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highland Games?

Hello Deb J

My name is Ginette and I work for Nova Scotia Tourism.

Thank you for coming back for a visit. Your itinerary covers a lot of ground and I am sure you will enjoy every minute of it.

The Antigonish Highland Games are celebrating their 150th anniversary and they will surely have exciting events each and every day. Unfortunately, they are still in the planning stage and you will have to check their website for updates.

Halifax will be very busy around July 1st, so in 3 days you should be able to fully enjoy our capital city. You can check Halifax information on our novascotia.com website or visit destinationhalifax.com. The Halifax Citadel National Historic Site will have events on Canada Day along with the Royal Nova Scotia Tattoo parade. You can check these on their website: pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/visit/activ4.aspx .

I calculated approximately 2400kms from Oromocto, NB to Nova Scotia and back, not including driving around the wineries, museums, etc. and not including your trip to and from Ontario.

If you need further assistance, please visit our website above or call our toll free number and one of our agents will assist you with your planning, 1-800-565-0000. I hope you have a great trip!

Ginette

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highland Games?

Since you plan to be in Halifax on July 1st, Canada Day, please consider attending the Royal Nova Scotia international Tattoo held at the Halifax Metro Centre. You will not be disappointed! Visit www.nstattoo.ca for all the details of this year's performances.

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Highland Games?

Thanks to each of you for the replies. I will definitely look into the Tattoo - I had completely forgotten about it!

Unfortunately I am not sure that we will choose to spend a lot of time on the Northumberland coast this year as we explored from Bouctouche to Pictou last year (spent a week in a cottage near Port Elgin and loved it).

I welcome any other suggestions for activities/places we shouldn't miss. This will likely be our last trip to the East Coast for a while and we don't mind covering a lot of ground (my kids might say differently though!)

5. Re: Highland Games?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 09, 2014