We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th anniversary trip

Louisiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
25th anniversary trip

I have always wanted to go to Nova Scotia. I don't know where to start. We are looking for a quiet place with great views and shops. This will be our first trip without our kids so I would like it to.be special. I am interested in lighthouses etc. If you had a week to spend, where would you go and why?

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th anniversary trip

I would probably go down the South Shore and stay in Mahone Bay or Lunenburg for a few days. This is UNESCO World Heritage Site, foundation of the old fishing industry,, home of the Bluenose with lovely Inns, breathtaking views, neat little shops and fanstastic retaurants.

Depending on the time of year maybe spend a night at White Point Beach just recently rebuilt after extensive fire. Particularly nice in Spring/Summer when can enjoy the beach, usually.too cold to walk in winter direct exposure to the Atlantic.

Then cross over to Wolfville and stay one of the great Inns, sample some fabulous restaurants visit some of our award winning wineries.

www.luckettvineyards.com/

www.winesofnovascotia.ca/,

Visit Halls' Harbour and Cape Blomidon on Bay of Fundy, if energetic hike to Cape Split or just hang out on mainstreet Wolfville with great coffee, tea beer or wine.!

Grand Pre is also 5 mins away which may interest you as it is the sight of the expulsion of the Acadians by the British of which I am sure you know many settled in your state of Louisianna.

http://www.grand-pre.com/index.php

The other Alternative would be to visit Cape Breton, travel the Cabot Trail,

staying at one of the award winning Inns, Normaway, Glenora Distillery, Marklands or Chanterelle to name a few. Visit Cheticamp an Acadian settlement. and enjoy a Ceilidh.

Visit Baddeck and Bell Museum and if interested travel to Fortress Louisbourg which is celebrating 300 year anniversary in 2013

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/….

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Hope that helps give you some ideas. Also check out in the search box below trip reports from last year particularly Maritime Adventure Part 1-4, they spent alot of time researching and were very discerning in their choices

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th anniversary trip

I agree: either go to the South Shore (Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, White Point) and Wolfvill area OR go to Cape Breton.

Here is the Nova Scotia website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Take the time to study it.

Here is the link to previous trip reports:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

There is great dining and shopping in Lunenburg and Wolfville. Cape Breton has less of that but makes up for it with spectacular scenery, music and historical sites.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Not knowing your personal background, but since you are from LA, you might be interested in visiting the Acadian Shore/Yarmouth area to experience Nova Scotia's colourful Acadian culture. The Acadian population was deported from Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, & New Brunswick (Acadia/L'Acadie) in 1755 to what is now LA for fear that the Acadians would side with France in the upcoming European War (1756-1763). The term "Cajun" was a term given to those deportees in LA! Many of the Acadian families returned to NS & there are descendants of those returning settlers in most areas of our province but "the Pubnicos" are recognized as the oldest Acadian region still inhabited by the descendants of the original Acadians. Check www.acadianvillage.museum.gov.ns.ca & www.museeacadian.ca . You might even find a connection to "home"!

Great food & drink with an emphasis on seafood, rappie pie, & fricot.Check www.adventuresintaste.ca.

The Musique de la Baie program gives lots of musical events to choose from depending on the time of your visit to Nova Scotia.

Please call 1-800-565-0000 to order a copy of the Doers' & Dreamers' Guide to Nova Scotia. The 2013 D&D should be available in March but you can also ask for a 2012 copy to help get an early start on your trip planning.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Excellent suggestions!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Is your preference to only stay in one spot or move around?

If only one spot I would choose Cape Breton.

If you like the idea of moving around and seeing a variety of different places I would divide my time between Halifax, Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal and Wolfville, if that is too much moving choose a couple of these places to explore.

Here is a very short condenses summary of these places:

Cape Breton - Gaelic music, Cabot Trail scenery, Louisbourg, cute communities, hiking.

Halifax - east coast pubs and music, restaurants, waterfront and historic properties, tours of downtown, Citadel Hill, museums such as pier 21, maritime museum of the Atlantic. General city excitement.

Lunenburg - cute fishing town, close to Mahone Bay and Chester and Peggy's cove, beautiful sand beaches close by, the bluenose schooner, fisheries museum, the ovens, nice restaurants.

Annapolis Royal - Fort Anne, Port Royal, ghost walk tour at night, cute b and bs, close to Digby and whale watching on Brier Island, hike to balancing rock.

Wolfville - Grand Pre Historic Site, Blomidon Provincial Park, The Look Off, Cape Split Hiking, Approx 10 wineries, farm markets, Halls Harbour fishing village, cute b and bs and nice restaurants.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Thanks for all of the information. The Cajun part was very interesting.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Suncatcher - thanks for posting the link to the Acadian Village. I have never been there and now have it on my must visit list next time I am home in NS in the summer time.

Tedison2 - Here is a link from Nova Scotia tourism about The Acadians in Nova Scotia which offers a pretty good overview of the Acadian communities and attractions in Nova Scotia should you wish to explore that a little more. novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th anniversary trip

Thanks, graywolfpack, I know that you will enjoy not only the Acadian culture but also an area which I feel has been overlooked by travellers the past few summers. Since the Yarmouth ferry has stopped operating, it seems that more tourists are bypassing such a beautiful part of our province. The trend seems to be to cross from Lunenburg/Liverpool to Annapolis Royal/Digby area. I certainly cannot argue that all those areas do not have lots to offer but I still feel that the "lower" South Shore & Acadian Shore are pleasant & historical places to visit.

As a B&B operator, I do get several guests each year who are researching their Acadian roots & many find great success in the Pubnicos. These visitors will often contact me after they return to their homes & tell me how glad they were to have been directed to the Acadian Shores' museums. Despite our ability to "log on" to find information, it is still a thrill for tourists to actually touch the artifacts or read the original books which tell the story of their forebears.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th anniversary trip

I would really like to stay in one place but I would be open to splitting the trip into 2 different locations.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25th anniversary trip

For a place that is quiet, with some of the best views in the province, and the only place where you can actually stay right at a lighthouse - check out Cape d'Or. www.capedor.ca You will not find a more unique place to stay anywhere. Check out the reviews here on TA to see how special this place is. Cape d'Or is situated just outside of Advocate Harbour, one of the oldest Acadian founded villages where you can still see some of the old Acadian built dyke's helping to hold back the largest tides on earth of the Bay of Fundy. Some other lighthouses on the scenic drive from Truro to Cape d'Or are at Five Islands, Port Greville and Spencers Island, all in picturesque settings. At Port Greville there is also the interesting Age of Sail Museum

But there are no shops around other than the country store and a couple of craft shops - but some of the best food you will have in Nova Scotia at the Wild Caraway in Advocate Harbour. It isn't for everyone as it is off the main routes in one of the most geologically spectacular spots of eastern Canada but it certainly fills the bill of quiet, great views and lighthouses.