We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

I have a rough outline planned for our itinerary (about 2 weeks) for the end of July/beginning of August and would like some feedback as to how it sounds.

Day 1- driving from PA to Woodstock NB (hopefully we can make it that far in a day).

Day 2- drive to old shipyard beach campground in advocate harbour, supper at wild caraway, cape d-or lighthouse

Day 3- full day kayak tour with novashore

Day 4- hike elliot brook to seal cove and back, drive to broad cove campground in ingonish

Day 5- franey mountain hike, middle head hike

Day 6- drive to meat cove campground (stopping @ neil's harbour and white point on the way)

Day 7- hike @ meat cove

Day 8- pollets cove hike, cheticamp campground

Day 9- skyline trail and some others in the area, hopefully hear some music here

Day 10- drive to lunenburg and camp at the campground in town

Day 11- blue rocks, lunenburg sightseeing

Day 12- drive to cove waterfront campground near annapolis royal, explore the area

Day 13- whale watching on brier island, catch the ferry to St. john and head home

is this a bit much or what do ya'll think? thanks!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

Looks like a great active adventure. You will be hiking some beautiful trails which do take some effort to get to the trail heads and complete, but certainly well worth that effort. For day 7 and 8 you are doing a lot of hiking, with each hike taking up most of the day, but it is doable.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

What you have proposed is doable but not sure if you have considered distance and time not multi lane highways!

Day 3 where is your kayak tour?

Not sure where you plan to spend the night to be hiking in Ingonish Day 4??

Also Day 9 where were you thinking of spending the night long haul to Lunenburg next day from Highlands.

Obviously you enjoy hiking and want to make it focus of your trip,but have you considered any other sightseeing? you don't mention Baddeck, Halifax,

From Lunenburg I would consider crossing to Annapolis Valley through New Germany so you get to see some of the Valley on way to Brier Island-

Do make reservations there early in the season.

Have fun planning.

Edited: 3:44 pm, November 06, 2012
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

I have actually looked extensively into travel distances/times and thst is why I wanted to know if ppl thought this was all possible and not terribly rushed. To answer your questions, we will be kayaking in the bay of fundy at cape chignecto on day 3, day 4 we will check out at the shipyard campground and do the hike in cape chignecto (elliot brook) and then drive the 6.5 hrs to ingonish. This part we may need to modify. Day 9 we will still be in cheticamp and drive from there to lunenberg. Yes, our main focus is hiking and the outdoors and do not have time to include Halifax and baddeck. I have already been to these areas in a family vacation some yrs ago. Thanks.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help

Sounds like you have all your bases covered and prepared for some long days.

Hope it all works out and you have great weather too to really enjoy your time here.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help

Just wanted to add my two cents worth....

Keep in mind if you are staying in the area around Annapolis Royal (I think you mentioned a campground). You are planning on whale watching on Brier Island. It is easily a 2 1/2 hr drive from Annapolis Royal to Brier Island, and you must time your trip to catch the two ferries to the islands.

Add the time of the return trip back to Digby, and remember you must be at the ferry terminal one hour before departure.

Also remember when you cross the border into New Brunswick. the time will advance one hour to Atlantic time zone, from Eastern time zone....always good to remember in case you have reservations somewhere.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary help

You could also camp right at Elliot brook, its a back country campsite with some real nice wooded spots along the brook, with outhouses. It would allow quick access onto the trail to Seal. The trail takes around 4 hours return for people in good shape, which you must be, looking at your itinerary. (The times in the park guides are extremely generous, probably thinking of the slowest a non hiker would do it in) I would pack a lunch and make it a 6 hour hike as the views are incredible and once past Green Point the camera will be out constantly. Green Point is a wonderful place for lunch. You can drive to the sites at Elliot, they just want you to park the vehicle after unloading around 100 meters up the hill. You would probably have the entire campsite to yourselves and if not they are all nice private sites. Downside - no fires or showers etc like the on the beach sites at the Old Shipyard. When you do Pollets head in early - it is best to break it up and camp there but it can be done in a day. There can be issues if there have been heavy rains along that trail at the creeks. The next day is a rest day with a real easy walk on the Skyline, especially compared to the trails you have done till then. Im sure you will have a blast - even if you dont get in every hike.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary help

If you have time you might want to do the balancing rock hike on Long Island which is en route to Briar Island. The first ferry takes you to Long Island, then the second ferry takes you to Brier Island. The balancing rock trail is quite short and doesn't take long. Neat balancing rock at the end of the trail. I believe you will be driving right by the trail en route to brier island.

Another area with great hiking is the Wolfville area of the Annapolis Valley. Not sure if you have been there or not. Cape Split hiking trail is popular with great views at the end. Blomidon Provincial Park also has great views and trails. Both these trails are quite close to Wolfville, which is a university town with B&Bs and lots of wineries, restaurants etc.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary help

yes, we may need to spend an extra night in advocate harbor due to not wanting to rush the hike to seal cove. The reason we were going to stay at the cove waterfront campground near annapolis royal is because the campsites look like they have awesome views. i am still debating if it is worth staying there and making the 2.5 hr drive down to brier island or if we should camp at one of the campgrounds south of digby such as jaggers point, fundy spray or whale cove campground. has anyone stayed here or can anyone help me out with knowing if any of them have campsites with awesome views? as for the pollets cove hike, we were debating if we wanted to camp there for the night and hike back the next day but we've never done backcountry camping and weren't sure if we wanted to deal with bringing all the stuff we would need for overnight. we would definitely make it an all day hike, starting maybe around 9am. thanks for all the tips!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary help

another thing i was wondering is if i am able to make reservations at these campgrounds now or if i they are closed for the season and don't take reservations till next spring. i could always just call and see if i get through.. :-)

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary help

You can try sending emails from thier sites. I know there is no-one at some of the campsites, you can check with the ones at the Highlands Park as they do stay open in the winter, but not sure if the reservation system is running. The owners of the Old Shipyard have headed south but there is a email on thier site. Meat Cove will be shut down, unlikely you can reach them until the spring.

Some people actually do go camping in the winter, and the parks like Cape Chignecto that are closed are still used, at your own risk.