We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advise

ny
Level Contributor
61 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advise

My husband and I are planning a 10 -14 day trip to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island. We are late 60's/early 70's; love nature, walking vs hiking, birding, nature walks.

We will fly into Halifax and rent a car.

At this point I have identified the following:

1. Halifax to Lunenburg...not sure whether to leave immediately or spend time in Halifax...we're not city people. Want to go to Peggy's Cove one morning

2. Lunenburg to Digby

3. Digby ....stay 2 nights and go to Kenji, and areas around Digby. Also do a whale watch.

4. Digby to Picout just to break up the drive to Cape Breton

5 Pictou to Baddeck. Baddeck would be the home base in Cape Breton.

6. Stay at least 4 nights at Baddeck....Cabot Trail, National Park, Birding tour, moose watching, multiple driving trails.

7. Return to Halifax and home.

Thinking of staying at the Braddwater Inn in Baddeck,

Digby Grahams Pioneer Retreat, Lunenburg Ocean View Chalets, Pictou Evening Sail B&B

Thanks for all advise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advise

Hi reddvixen ~

It would help to know what month you are coming.

Baddeck is a place I found very attractive. I will mention that the Alexander Graham Bell museum is therel. Quite interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advise

Your plan looks pretty good. You might want to include a night in the Annapolis Valley in the Wolfville area as well, it'll give you a bit of a head start toward Cape Breton, and the area is beautiful, featuring great scenery and most of Nova Scotia's wineries.

You might also want to consider instead of spending all your nights on Cape Breton in Baddeck spending one somewhere else on the Cabot Trail so you're not trying to do it all in one day.

You can visit Peggy's Cove along the way to Lunenburg. Simply follow the Lighthouse Trail, it will take you to Peggy's Cove, around the Aspotogan Peninsula, past the town of Chester (which you should go into) through Mahone Bay and into Lunenburg. Chester is home to the excellent Kiwi Cafe which would make an ideal lunch stop along the trip. There's also a place called the Seaside Shanty along the way that is fantastic too. You can always take Highway 103 back to save time when you leave for your next destination.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advise

You will find Halifax to be beautiful and interesting and you should plan for a day there to walk the waterfront, go up Citadel Hill and possible tour the Fortress, see the Public Gardens, go to the Maritime Museum (inclueds a Titanic exhibit and artifacts), the Pier 21 Museum, etc. etc.

In Cape Breton I agree you should consider at least one night on the west coast, perhaps Cheticamp and area.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advise

Obviously depends on the time of year you would be visiting?? I agree with Nick re Wolfville there is so much to see and do in the area if you are at all interested in food, wine, agriculture etc

Blomidon, Cape Split lovely for walking not serious hiking, you could travel to Look Off if clear magnificent views. Visit Grand Pre it's Unesco World Heritage Site

pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grandpre/index.aspx

There are 4 posts from a fellow NY'er titled Maritime Adventure Part 1-4, you might find helpful re food accomodations etc.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k57479…

Re Baddeck as base if you prefer not to move would work but does limit you re the trail for stopping, walking around etc I would suggest maybe leaving trail for your last day and then spend your last night either Cheticamp or Margaree, and then continue down the Ceilidh trail through Inverness, Mabou, Port Hood to Port Hawkesbury and Halifax.

Hope that helps a bit and you have wonderful visit.

Edited: 2:20 pm, October 11, 2012
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advise

For your walking and birding some of your highlights in Nova Scotia would be in the upper Bay of Fundy region. The Fundy is on the Atlantic Migratory Path flyway so it is a fantastic place during the migrations, but throughout the year it retains some of the best birding areas in eastern Canada. The Chignecto region hosts some of the best walking/birding venues you will find. Off the main tourist routes you will discover a area of astounding beauty, still relatively undiscovered. The area starts at the entrance to the province, around a 3 hour drive from Halifax you will find Amherst and the Tantramar marshes. The name itself is from the original settlers to this area, the French speaking Acadians and relates to the din caused from all the birds during their migration.

Just outside Amherst there is a nationally protected wildlife habitat, the Amherst Point Migratory Bird Sanctuary. It is an fascinating ecosystem that is the home to many species of birds. Over 220 species of birds have been identified within the Amherst Point Migratory Bird Sanctuary. You can walk easy trails that wind through this ecosystem of marsh and woodlands. For easy walks into a birders paradise it is about the best in the province.

If you continue along the road to the Cape Chignecto Park area you will find the largest and wildest provincial park in Nova Scotia. www.capechignecto.net Although known in the hikers world as one of the prime coastal wilderness hiking trails in eastern Canada, it also has the easy walks at the Eatonville entrance to the park, which opened only recently and is still flying under the provinces tourism radar. Its a spectacular area with the most astonishing scenic viewpoints, considering the ease that you can walk to them, that you can find anywhere. From the viewpoints and along the walkways at the top of the Avalon highland escarpment of Chignecto I have often seen Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, Red tailed Hawks, Kingfishers, Blue Herons, a variety of sea birds such as Cormorants, Eider and other ducks, Black Guillemot and a wide assortment of forest birds including different Woodpeckers and Owls.

Another good spot to stop along the Fundy would be at Shubenacadie at the Greenwing Legacy interpretive centre www.wetlandcentre.com and further down the bay at Brier Island, both have easy walks into beautiful areas with lots of bird-life.

With your love of nature, birds and easy walks the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or and Brier Island areas are places you can spend some time - they are really suited for people that arent that interested in places that have been changed to suit the tourist but still authentic fishing villages .

Edited: 10:29 am, October 12, 2012
6. Re: Trip advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 15, 2013