We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

My husband and I have booked an October 12 night cruise through Quebec, St. Lawrence seaway, New Brunswick, Edward Island and Nova Scotia. We are "cruise virgins" and are trying out this type of holiday due to my increasing level of disability - I am not yet full time in a wheelchair although I will be soon.

I'd like to make independent arrrangements for private sightseeing - the two ports in Nova Scotia are Halifax amd Sydney.. Could anyone recommend local car companies with perhaps a driver/guide for a few hours? It's relatively easy to pace myself when exploring towns, but I think in many ports of call on this cruise you have to get outside and look at the counryside (Bay of Fundy, Arcadia National Park etc) ad time is too short for hiring rental cars.

I shall post this on the New Brunswick and Quebec forums also and would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Hi:

I highly recommend that you join cruise critic.com which is a sister site to this one. Once there go to the Roll Call for your cruise and see if you can get ideas from others, possibly even joining others on private tours. You can look for your Roll Call here, finding your cruise company, then your ship and then the date for your cruise:

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Time is not too short for hiring rental cars and many people do this.

For Sydney, google toms port guides. He as a guide recommended there.

Here is a thread with a post I put on cruisecritic this morning: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

And here is a recent thread about Sydney with more of my notes:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Re Halifax there are a variety of trips you can do from the port. Tour Historic Halifax, drive to Peggy's Cove stop for lobster lunch at Ryers where.they are steamed to order. If the weather is good you can eat outside on picnic table with wonderful with view of the bay.

Or if you prefer more formal lunch the Rhubard cafe is excellent.

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are also popular destinations for day trips from cruiseport.

Wolfville and Grand Pre' is another alternative. Grand Pre was just designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. if you are interested in wines there are award winiing wineries near Wolfville.

http://www.winesofnovascotia.ca/

tasteofnovascotia.com/news/…

We did a couple of tours last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and had great tours,very knowledgeable local drivers.

www.halifaxcruiseshiptaxitours.com

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas to choose from

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Thank you so much for your replies ad message.

I'm just about to start working my way through all the threads and websites you mentioned. May I come back to you when I've done that.?

I did know about Cruise Critic but took your advice and have signed up as a member to access roll call etc.

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Thanks a lot for this information, Lulu C. It's much appeciated.

Angela

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Of course you can come back!

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Dear Maryann.

The more I research I do the more confused I get! It makes me nostalgic for the days we used to set off on holiday with nothing but a smudgy photocopy of a list of pensions or bed and breakfasts from the Tourist Office if you were lucky!Now it seems we don't book anywhere unless I've had a virtual tour of the very room that we'll be occupying!

The status is:

Montreal and Quebec - do own thing

Cornerbrook. More help needed. Would like to do a countryside tour by private car. Have emailed the only company on the city website and also the tourist office, but neither have replied.

Charlottetown. Looks as if it's suitable for wandering round on our own. Am considering whether to visit the Anne of Green Gables site, but I don't think it would interest my husband and to be honest it's not really a part of my childhood. Could you tell me how far it is from town?

Sydney. More help needed. I've more or less settled on a visit to the Alexander Graham Bell museum, Baddeck Village and then being left at Possit house. Unfortunately, Don Blackwood, recommended in CC and Tom's Port Guides is taken. He recommended Bannockburn Tours but they are quoting $750. What do you think of my choice of itinerary and do you have any suggestions of other companies or drivers?

Halifax. Am in discussion with Halifax Taxi Tours who seem good and fairly priced. Could you just tell me in your opinion, is Peggy'sCove worth the trip when there is so much to see in town. How long does it take to drive there?

St. John's, Bay of Fundy. Own thing - wandering about town and taxi to see the reversing waters. Only problem I foresee there is that the ship docks at midday and the waters can only be seen doing their thing until 2pm. And with a wheelchair we'll be last off the boat and according to the tourist office taxis can't be booked ahead of time. So, we may have to walk the 4 kilometers which is fine provided the route is wheelchair friendly?

I must apologise for the length of this post but I'm constantly amazed at the generosity of tripadvisor members and location experts in the sharing of their knowlegde and any help will be gratefully received!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Hi: I am busy today but will get back to you this evening.

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

Brilliant! Thanks a lot maryann.

Angela

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Indepedent sightseeeing at Cruise ship ports

I'll comment on Halifax and Peggy's Cove, I love Peggy's Cove iit's iconic whatever the season my suggestion is you take a tour as soon as you dock and then get dropped off at the Citadel on the way back.

It is approx 40 mins to Peggy's and then time there so allow 1.5hrs, if you are lobster fan there is a great spot nearby for Lobster fresh steamed to order at very reasonable prices.

If you are interested in all things Titanic you could also go by Fairview cemetary on your way to or from Pegyy's.

I already mentioned we did this tour last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and had a great tour., they will customize time to your interests at no extra charge.

After the Ctiadel you'll have all. afternoon to wander through the city and go to Maritime Museum, Historic Properties, Pier 21 and Seaport Market and wander the boardwalk.

re Sydney that's unfortunate the others are booked, you could inquire re other 750 must be for weekend etc would you consider renting a car it is easy drive to Baddeck? I thinlk that plan is great I am a fan of the Bell Museum and it is such a beautiful spot with views over to Benn Bhreagh and Baddeck Bay. Here's another from Fodors also if you Google taxi Tours Sydney there are quite a few.

www.tartantours.ca or call them directly @ 902 578 4501

there are a bunch more here

canpages.ca/business/…2633-8744A0.html

Re St John NB I am asuming it is St John not St John's is in NEwfoundland??

Another alternative would be to take a tour to St Andrews, another of my favorite spots.

http://www.standrewsbythesea.ca/visit/

Hope this helps