We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which direction to go?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
which direction to go?

My parents will be visiting Nova Scotia for 5 nights in May. They are excited to see the Joggins Fossil Cliffs, Bay of Fundy (staying at Wolfville) and Grand Pre winery, and they're interested in a whale-watching cruise. They also enjoy outdoor activities and would probably like to try sea kayaking. They are arriving into Halifax after a long day of flying around 4pm. They would like to get a car and head toward their first destination, but don't want to be on the road for more than ~1 hour or so. Can anyone tell me which is the best route, keeping in mind that they will probably do a southern loop, saving the north for another trip? I was thinking Truro for 1 night, then early to Joggins for the day, Wolfville for night 2, Annapolis Royal for night 3...Lunenburg might be a good evening stop. Should they go the other way? lunenburg first night , digby, etc to the north, ending up at Joggins. Is there any place that they NEED to stay for more than one night?

Please help! Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Wolfville
Wolfville
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Grand Pre
Grand Pre
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Truro
Truro
Nova Scotia, Canada
Annapolis Royal
Annapolis Royal
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which direction to go?

Hi there, looking at what your parents like to do I would suggest that they head to the Bay of Fundy from Halifax. The whale watching doesnt get started until June, with some not opening until early June. There are some that do open mid May, but the sightings will usually be the small Minkes, birds and seals. The big Baleen's start arriving in June and by far the most interesting tours are when the larger numbers of Humpbacks and Rights are in the lower Bay of Fundy.

That would mean for things lke fossil hunting (not only at Joggins), hiking and sea kayaking the upper Bay of Fundy would be a good choice. On the upper Bay of Fundy there is a place called Advocate Harbour, which hosts two of the most dramatic outdoor destinations in Nova Scotia, Cape d'Or and Cape Chignecto. Cape Chignecto, the largest provincial park in Nova Scotia has some of the best wilderness hiking in eastern Canada. (I operate a outdoor adventure/kayaking outfit in this area) This area was recently featured in the outdoor adventure video "Eastern Horizons" available at places like Mountain Equipment Coop, Trail Shop etc. It showcases the top kayaking destinations from Newfoundland to Georgia. With the short time they have they wouldnt want to do the 3-4 day wilderness hike at Cape Chignecto, but the day use trails make for a wonderful day outing with walks along the escarpment overlooking the highest tides on earth. The Dory Rips at Cape d'Or are always awesome on the flood tide. Its a great place to watch the highest tides on earth at the rips, but also at the large harbour, which completely empties at low tide and fills at high, floating the fishing boats off the ocean bottom to the top of the wharf. Advocate Harbour is around 2.5 hours from the airport, which is longer than the one hour they would lke to do, but it might appeal to them to wake up the next day in the heart of one of the most spectacular outdoor destinations in eastern Canada.

They may want to spend several days in this area as they dont have to travel any distances to take in the hiking, kayaking, or even paragliding if they want and its only a 40 minute drive to Joggins to make a day of it there at the UNESCO Fossil Center. If fossils interest them, places like Spicer's Cove close to Advocate are excellent for finding fossils in a stunningly beautiful setting. If they like good food they will definitly have to try the Wild Caraway www.wildcaraway.com in Advocate, or the restaurant at the lighthouse at Cape d'Or. For places to stay check out Advocate Harbour here on TA. Other good sources of info on this area, including Joggins is at the Bay of Fundy Recommended Experiences at www.bayoffundytourism.com where you can scroll down to the Advocate Region. It also has links for the rest of thier trip to high quality expereinces and accomodations in Annapolis and Wolfville plus the winery at Grand Pre and they can check on the whale watching from the links on this site.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Advocate Harbour
Advocate Harbour
Nova Scotia, Canada
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Wild Caraway
Wild Caraway
427 Reviews
Advocate Harbour, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Wolfville
Wolfville
Grand Pre
Grand Pre
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which direction to go?

Thanks kayakdover! Big help. Can you tell me the name of your outfitter? I'd love to look into it for them. All this great stuff makes me want to go too!

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which direction to go?

I would second kayakdover's recommendations for the Advocate Harbour area. His kayaking tour company is called Nova Shores Adventures (www.novashores.com) and is recommended highly. I know your time is short, but given the things your parents liike to do they might want to spend 2 nights in the Advocate Harbour area. If they do choose to spend the first night in Truro, I would recommend Suncatcher B&B (www.suncatcherbnb.com) and would highly recommend dinner at Murphy's which I think has the best fish and chips in the province.

If your parents come again, send them to Cape breton Island.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Advocate Harbour
Advocate Harbour
Nova Scotia, Canada
Truro
Truro
Nova Scotia, Canada
Murphy's Fish & Chips
Murphy's Fish & Chips
456 Reviews
Truro, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
4. Re: which direction to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 03, 2010