We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit

Momtrose, CO
12 posts
Save Topic
Visit

We are planning a visit to Nova Scotia in January 2006. It's our mission to make some serious rounds to look at possible B&B sales throughout the south shore of the province.

We may well be there for sometime and are wondering about accomodations. A central location for all south shore towns. I am looking at the Oak Island Inn and would appreciate some input on this Inn. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much for your help..

slim4113

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit

welcome back slim"

I'm so glad to hear that you are coming to Nova Scotia to check out prospective real estate...That should be quite exciting...

I am very familiar with the "Oak Island Inn and Resort"..I live just a few miles from that location. Right now, I am there three times per week for a water excercise class, and have gone to a few of their "mystery weekend" package deals.

They are alot of fun and are popular..you may get caught up in one of these while you are there..They have other theme weekend packages also..I'll have to check their website for dates and times...

It's a good central location for south shore towns..Mahone Bay is about 10 minutes on route #3, as is Chester Basin and Chester. Lunenburg about 20 minutes and Bridgewater, also 20 minutes.

The Inn is located in Western Shore off of route #3 halfway between Mahone Bay and Chester Basin..

They have a pool both indoor and outdoor. The indoor pool has a childrens area and an adult area. Also a very nice hot tub and sauna with windows all along one side with an excellent view of the marina, ocean and islands..Very relaxing..

They have a good fitness room with at least a dozen pieces of equipment and weights.. They also have a spa which I understand is very good.. The restaurant is also good slim.

I have a friend who is the chef there and the menu has just been changed..I had a look at it Monday and it's extensive. Lots to choose from--prices semi-reasonable.

I do think that their breakfast menu is rather cheap and offers many items..The Fireside Lounge has a nice coxy atmosphere.

It's large--set up like a livingroom with a huge bricked fireplace that takes up the entire wall..Nice comfy couches and chairs..The other side is again all windows towards the marina and ocean..

The staff are friendly and helpful...

I must warn you though that their standard rooms make me closterphobic.. I would highly recommend that you upgrade to a king suite with a view to ensure you have a balcony and are facing the ocean not the parking lot...I think the 100 block of rooms are the best..... I do believe, and you should check if some rooms offer fireplaces...I'm pretty sure they offer that.

The chalets if you should be interested, are well equipted for longer stays..They are directly on the shore and have parking.

You can take the virtual tour on their website if you haven't done this already..It's a very short walk to the Inn as you would be directly behind it..I've been in several chalets and like them for sure..If you intend to stay a longer duration then these may serve you better...

All in all, I think the Oak Island is a very good choice..

Regards...............