We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a good book or video?

Louisiana
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
a good book or video?

Hi again, we are leaving our state of Louisiana for an 8 day trip to Nova Scotia. This trip was planned long before horrible Katrina distroyed New Orleans and I am looking forward to leaving this mess behind. I know nothing about Nova Scotia other than my Cajun ancestors are buried at Port Royal. Please suggest a good book or video. Merci Beacoup.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a good book or video?

Hello SSDOGWOOD:

So sorry for all you in Louisana and Mississippi.. Has been horrible ordeal.

I cannot right now suggest a book or video to help you but will do some research.

I am fully aware of the cajun and french connection here in Nova Scotia.

Most of these people are along the "French Shore" of N.S.

Thay had a large festival just this year.

I will do some research and get back to this post.

Is there anything else you would need to assist you while vacationing here.?

Are you flying into halifax or driving.?. Perhaps you are taking the ferry from Maine.

Regards.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a good book or video?

These two books have a 5 star rating.

Acadia---Author--Alfred Silver--Ballintine Publishing Group

Excellent ratings for historical, very well written,

A true portrayal, an extremely well written book,

allowing you to feel the mixture of the Cajun/Acadian

connection.

Three Hills Home---Author--Alfred Silver----

Published 2002.

Also available on video tape.

Regards..

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: a good book or video?

You might want to contact the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, which is extensively used by amateur genealogists:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/cap/

You could also try the local public library near Port Royal (do you mean Annapolis Royal?)

For general info, have a look at the government tourism website - make sure you order the Doers and Dreamers Guide (free):

http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

good luck!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a good book or video?

I'm not sure whether you're looking for fiction or travel guides. If the latter, the best is the Doers & Dreamers guide: you can get it (Free) through this website:

www.novascotia.com:80/en/home/default.aspx

Also on that site, you can explore the various areas of NS.

With your Acadian background, do try to get to Grand Pre. There is an excellent federal goverment museum there, all about the Acadians - history, lifestyle, etc. Here's a good website that's all about the Acadians:

…ic.gc.ca/acadian/english/toce/toce.htm

Louisiana
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: a good book or video?

Thanks for the many replys and book suggestions. Our tour includes Le Pays De La Sagouine and Grand Pre so I 'll get plenty of Cajun culture. Everyone is just so sick of this hot Louisiana weather and listening to depressing news. Nova Scotia sounds like a wonderful escape. What is the weather like? We leave on the 22 of this month. Merci Beacoup

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a good book or video?

All of a sudden it turned cool after Labour Day. You'll definitely need a sweater for the evenings and early mornings. The temperatures here have been about 20 - 22 during the day, and 15 - 13 at night. But the days have been beautifully sunny. Perfect weather for touring.