We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls - NS-PEI Ferry vs. Confederation Bridge tolls

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
513 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls - NS-PEI Ferry vs. Confederation Bridge tolls

Just returned from a 10 day trip through PEI & NS. Found that one of my trusty (?) guidebooks was wrong about tolls on the PEI-NS ferry and bridge. The book indicated that, money-wise, it made no difference if you chose to leave the island via the bridge or the ferry for the tolls were the same. Wrong. The toll for the Confederation Bridge is $41.50; for the ferry, $68. ($61. + $7. fuel surcharge). Tolls are collected only going off the island.

Even though tolls are paid only leaving PEI, I thought they were somewhat exorbitant. The local (to me) Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, connecting Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia is a 20 mile long affair over the Chesapeake Bay and includes 2 tunnels and a high-rise bridge - the rest being a concrete pile supported causeway over the water. It costs $12. each way - or $24. roundtrip. Seems a much better deal than the Confederation Bridge - only 8 miles long. The Cape May, New Jersey - Lewes, Delaware Ferry - a 17 mile 80 minute trip, costs $28. one way for car & driver; $52. round trip - $16 cheaper than the PEI-NS ferry - for a roughly equivalent trip. Even with the exchange rates figured in, we seem to get better deals down here than are to be had in the Maritimes.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls - NS-PEI Ferry vs. Confederation Bridge tolls

Yes, it is pricey. It would be less so today the way our dollar has just nose-dived!

The bridge was built under a public private partnership deal. Eventually the private partner will get to make a profit. The bridge was very expensive to build, partly because it had to be designed for the strait being ice covered in winter. As well it had to allow shipping and not disturb fish populations. The ferry is private with government subsidies. It is not making much profit, if any.

You cannot compare to the places you mention because of population. PEI has only 135 thousand people. Many of them seldom cross to the mainland. Not too many travel there is winter. The ferry does not run in winter.

However, I had not realized the huge difference in price. It used to differ by only a few dollars. It is worth planning trips to visit Cape Breton first. Then take the ferry over to PEI and the bridge back.

I hope you enjoyed your trip in spite of this.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
513 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls - NS-PEI Ferry vs. Confederation Bridge tolls

We did indeed enjoy our trip! Loved the Maritimes! Loved the folk! Will be posting reviews a bit later.

3. Re: Tolls - NS-PEI Ferry vs. Confederation Bridge tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:27 pm, October 11, 2009