We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronounciation

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Pronounciation

There are plenty of place names that trip up people in the UK, so I'm wondering about in Nova Scotia? How is Louisbourg pronounced? Is it French style Loo - e - borg, English Loo - is - burg or something else?

Are there any other places that aren't what I might expect...?

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pronounciation

What an interesting thred this could become. Since the one place name you mentioned is in Cape Breton, where I live, I will try to answer your question. In Cape Breton, and indeed throughout Nova scotia, place names range from English, French, the native Mi'kmag and Gaelic. The English place names you will generally get correct. Some place names that may appear at first glance to be english are actually derived from the Mi'kmag language but are pronounced much as you would think (Ingonish, Antigonish, Merigomish, etc). With Antigonish, just slur it and you'll get it right. Most of the place names that are derived from French are very badly pronounced. Louisbourg locally is pronounced in the English way (Lewis burg) except at the Fortress itself where it is pronounced correctly. Glace Bay, which was obviously at one time a French name is pronounced with a hard a like in lace or ace. L'Ardoise, believe it or not, becomes Lord Ways and Main-a-Dieu becomes Man-a-Do. There are a lot of Gaelic place names in Cape Breton and throughout the Island you will find a lot of bilingual signs (English and Gaelic). I don't know how your Gaelic is but I won't even try to tell you how to pronounce any of then.

Hope this has been of some help.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pronounciation

Yes, Louisbourg definitely changes pronunciation depending on whether you're in town or at the Fortress. Pictou is pronounced with a long 'o" ("Pict owe"), and is well worth a visit if you're interested in the history of Nova Scotia's initial coloniziation. Cheticamp is "shetty camp".

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pronounciation

Shubenacadie

Shoe

Bin

ACK

A

Dee

Not Shuben Acadeee

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pronounciation

OK - this might be deleted but I just can't resist...

A couple on a road trip were arguing over the correct pronounciation of the name of the city where they had just stopped for lunch. The husband decided to settle it by asking the young man serving them, "Can you tell me the corret way to pronouce this place?" The teenager looked him straight in the eye and slowly answered "Bur - ger - King".

Now more on topic... sometimes my husband and I will choose destinations simply because they have interesting names. It's fun to see the looks on people's faces when we start our travel stories with "We stayed at a great place in Tatamagouche (NS)..." or "When we went to Kouchibougouac (NB)..."

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pronounciation

The one I like is Bras d'or. It is pronounced bra- door. Another one is Whycocomagh. Which is pronounced why-cog-a- ma. Also in Cape Breton is Ben Eoin which is pronounced Ben-Yawn. I know there is many more but I would be typing for hours.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pronounciation

Many thanks everybody - some I'd have got, others not, so thanks for these. Any more are welcome!

7. Re: Pronounciation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 03, 2009