We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

My husband and I are thinking about going to Nova Scotia early October of this year. He's been there before, but only on business. We're looking for a romantic B&B or inn, something luxurious and relaxing. Views of the water a plus!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Could you first tell everyone where in Nova Scotia will you be travelling. We have lots of people hear to give you lots of information but we need the general area so the right person can help. Cape Breton??? Bay Of Fundy side??? Lighthouse Route??? or maybe all of Nova Scotia. October is a very beautiful time to visit. The scenery is brilliant with colors usually after the 1st week and no later than the last week.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

We're planning on coming 10/9 and staying for a week. We're totally open to all and any areas. Have not made a concrete decision yet which area we are staying at. I do want to see Bay of Funday and checkout scenic drives, lighthouses, basically nature in general. I think at this point, finding the right accommodations is higher on out list - we'll be renting a car so we'll be able to drive around no matter where we stay.

Thanks again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

One event I would look into is the Celtic Colours Festival. It takes place during October, and I think you would enjoy this event tremendously. (See:www.celtic-colours.com)

If you do decide to travel to Cape Breton, I would also recommend looking into the Gowrie House Inn in Sydney Mines as a place to stay. (See: www.gowriehouse.com)

In Halifax, the Haliburton House is a favourite of mine. (www.haliburton.ns.ca)

Enjoy your trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Sorry, that last post should have read: www.halliburton.ns.ca

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Thanks! Gowrie looks wonderful. I wish Hallibuton had photos of their rooms - I think I'll have to request a brochure be sent to me.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

The celtic colours is a great way to spend your vacation in Cape Breton if you choose to visit here. You cant beat the scenery in Cape Breton in October. If you are doing the Cabot Trail which is what most people do here in October, check out these to websites www.islandsunset.com and www.capebretongarden.com for accomadations. Also a nice sail to see some whales- www.ingonish.com/seavisions on a 73ft Schooner. Hope I helped a little and come to Cape Breton, you will not be disappointed.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Wow! Island Sunset looks amazing. I'm definitly putting that one on the list of possible accommodations!

Thanks so much!

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Lambkin - We did this trip last year. We stayed at the Gowrie House and loved it. The rooms were great, meals were wonderful. Here was our favorite - Victoria's Historic Inn in Wolfville. This little city was wonderful, had wonderful restaurants, just really charming. Here's a link.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/victoria.inn/

We also stayed at Halliburton House in Halifax and really enjoyed our stay there.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Winter, so funny I found Victoria's a couple of days ago while surfing! I bookmarked it so it was good to find someone who stayed there and liked it. We're keeping that one in mind for sure, as well as Gowrie and Halliburton (did I spell them right?).

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Vacation Ideas Needed

Lambkin - I'd really encourage a stay at Victoria's Inn. It's hard to say what was so special. I think it's because the town was nice, the inn was right there on main street, good restaurants, just good vibe in the little town. The Gowrie Inn was nice, but location was totally different. The town was slightly depressed, meaning that there really wasn't much going on. I'm not talkng "party" stuff, just the basics of wanting to get a bite to eat. There was only one place open and it was so-so. That was our first night there...second night we ate at the inn and it was great. Haliburton House was nice, but also, just a little quirky. It's certainly not glamourous, but very comfortable. It was like stepping into someone's slightly older, slightly elegant townhome in a city.