We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Hello everyone!

This whole site is wonderful, and has really helped us in planning our trip. Thank you all!

We're driving from Lunenburg to Tiverton early on a Tuesday morning, using inland routes (Hwys 325, 208 and 8). According to Google maps, it should take around 3 hours to reach the ferry to Tiverton.

My question is, are these highways generally slow or fast? If we leave just before 8:30, are we leaving ourselves enough time to catch the 11:30 ferry?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Fundygirl or Blondi can probably give you better info but I think I would give it a little more time than that. The inland routes would be a rural two lane road so top speed would be 80km/hr. The distance finder website said over 2 hrs through there and then you have to drive to Digby and on to Freeport which would eat up another hour.

novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx

I would maybe leave around 8am just to be sure.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Hi Nilaa,

I'd suggest that you take Rte 3 to Bridgewater (aprox 15 mins); then Rte 10 to Middleton (aprox 1 1/2 hrs); then take Rte 101 to Digby (aprox 1 hr); then allow aprox 1 hr to go from there to East Ferry where you catch the ferry to Tiverton.

This is a more direct route than taking a chance on some of the country side roads. You'll make good time on Rte 101 as it is highway driving. It'll probably take you less time then I noted, but it's always nice to have a little extra time to be on the safe side.

If you look on home page of the Nova Scotia website, there is a distance calculator on the left hand side of the page that will help you out.

www.novascotia.com

If you are going whale watching, make sure that you dress warmly & have a great time.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Hello Nilaa "

I would also suggest Route #10 from Bridgewater to Middleton.

You will pass New Germany, Springfield, Zwicker's Lake and just past the lake you will see " Crisp Road" which is a wonderful shortcut I discovered years ago. It is about a 1 mile " good dirt road" and will bring you down the North Mountain behind Lawrencetown and cuts off about 25 miles driving. If you should happen to miss the Crisp Road, a mile or so more will have you at the Alpena Road which in essence takes you to the same general location behind Lawrencetown. Those 2 roads are great shortcuts and you could continue on to Annapolis Royal or take the 101 highway from Lawrencetown to Digby which would be much faster.

From Lunenburg to Bridgewater --15 minutes From Bridgewatwer to Lawrencetown -- 1 hour -- from Lawrencetown to Digby on #101 highway -- apx 45 minutes and on to the Digby Neck area and Tiverton. Please do allow apx 3 hours or a bit more travel time. The #10 from Bridgewater is not a busy road by any means, wooded and rural, very little traffic.

You will make very good time once you enter the faster #101 at Lawrencetown or Middleton. It's a scenic and lovely drive along Digby Neck but do allow time to travel this.

Hope this is of some help to you.

blondie **

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Correction --South Mountain, where's my geographical knowledge this morning ( ?) apologies for that mistake nilaa...

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

allow 1 hour from Digby to Tiverton > Long Island ..

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

Thank you so much. It definitely makes more sense to take highways, I realize.

Thanks especially for the tip about Crisp Road!

I'll make sure write up a full review of our trip when we get back.

7. Re: Drive from Lunenburg to Digby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 07, 2009