We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

We only have 1 day to see Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg & Mahone Bay, and I'm not sure if we should stop in Halifax too at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, or see the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg? We have a 2 year old, 14 & 15 year old, & 2 grandma's. What is the difference between the two museums, and if you only had time for 1, which one would you see, or is there time for both? Thank-you maritimers for your great help...what a difference it makes!

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

Hello its me, I would recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic for two reasons. Your two year old will thoroughly enjoy the Theodore Tugboat Display if it is still there and the real Tugboat is docked there at the dock as well. Call and find out for sure about dates. My little boy loved it. If I had a scanner I could of sent you some pictures. Also, in Halifax if you didnt like the Museum, You could walk out the front door and have 100 other things you could do or see. This museum is more "family friendly".

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

P.S. If you decide to do the Halifax Museum - Maritime Museum of the Atlantic you should also make your way to the Museum of Natural History-www.nature.museum.gov.ns.ca This will satisfy everyone especially the teenagers. It is only a hope skip and a jump from the other Museum. Get yourself a good street map and I all else fails stop and ask for directions. I like the car rental street maps. Let us know here on the forums how your trip went. Bye

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

Hi there...depending on what your time schedule is, you could probably see Peggy's Cove, L'Burg and Mahone Bay during this trip. They are all along the same drive/route. For example, if you had two days, I think you could do Peggy's Cove and Mahone Bay in one day and Lunenburg on the other day. Lunenburg would be the furthest of the places from Halifax...I would say about an hour to an hour and a half drive. Mahone Bay is about 10 minutes away from Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, a smidge off course, but is about a 40 minute drive from Mahone Bay. (Peggy's Cove about 25 - 35 minute drive to Halifax).

Personally, if I only had time to see 1 museum, I would recommend the Fisheries Museum. (museum.gov.ns.ca/fma/new-frames-master.html) {Also, the funny thing is...Theodore the tug boat was actually built at Snyder's shipyard...just outside of Lunenburg!}

The site for the Maritime Museum is: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/

Lunenburg:

http://www.town.lunenburg.ns.ca/

The reason why I like the Fisheries Museum better, is because of the aquarium, the tours on different ships...there is more than just artifacts and exhibits to read. The fisheries Museum also has a 'sticker treasure hunt' for kids to find throughout the museum. Lunenburg also has whale watching tours. You would be amazed at the architecture of most of the towns homes. Lunenburg has been named one of the Worlds Heritage Sites. Lunenburg is also home to the Bluenose...ship seen on the Cdn dime. When they are in dock, you can board the ship and tour it...it also sometimes has short sails that you can go on. They have horse drawn buggy tours throughout the town. Lunenburg also has one of the oldest churches ( http://www.stjohnslunenburg.com/ and also check out http://www.heritagecanada.org/eng/proj_land_pres.html#john)still standing and in use in Canada.

Yes, Halifax is way larger than Lunenburg and there is more stuff to do, but I feel (and this is only my feeling remember!), Lunenburg is a lot more personalized and friendly and they take the time to talk with you. Lunenburg is only about an hour to an hour and a half drive away from Halifax. You might be able to actually get both museums in during your trip.

To get some other tips/ideas...if you have the time, you might want to check out some responses to posts. (ie: 'Lunenburg or Mahone Bay NS stay?'; 'Lunenburg / Mahone Bay activities'; 'Need advice for a 10-day October Trip'; 'Will we have enough time?'.)

Anyway, hope you have an enjoyable trip! :-)

OOPHIE

BC Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

Thank-you so much, for all the info everyone! We may never make it back to the Maritimes again, so planning this trip with all your help will make the all the difference!

california
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

This is very intersting and we would definitely check it out. We are planning to go Canada on August with my 2 kids ages 7 and 4. Any other things you can recommend for outdoor activities would be appreciated.

my email is edelgaigalas@yahoo.com

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

I too would recommend the Lunenburg museum over the Halifax one. The Lunenburg one has more things of interest to all age levels. Also there's so much to see in Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg that I don't think you'll have time in 1 day to fit Halifax in.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

Here comes the Curmudgeon.

I find Peggys Cove a bit of a waste for people with short schedules. I have taken relatives and friends there and on three occasions had to drive the car in circles due to lack of parking. My guests got out and roamed about for 1/2 an hour, got back in the car and were not that impressed.

I think it is a tourist trap, but by the same token so is Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. Our daughter lives in Lunenburg and I dread going on a visit for lunch or dinner. Just lately we went into a cafe in Mahone Bay. I had tasteless fish cakes and canned beans for the low price of $10.00.

Having said that, I love the ambience of Lunenburg.

I have taken these same people on driving and walking tours of Dartmouth, Halifax and the Eastern Shore and had a better time. Some of them were more amazed with the operation at the container piers.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

well--i'm certainly going to disagree with most of that.

People come to Nova Scotia not for it's cosmopolitan atmosphere but instead for it's rugged beauty and maritime style. Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg all have this and then some. The preservation, spectacular architecture, history, and natural beauty, make all these places and places in between, well worth seeing for a visitor.

As a local, I visit Peggys Cove a few times each year among other places. I've been there many times and yes, at hight tourist time it can be crowded for parking and on the narrow streets of the village, but the rocks are never crowded and they are spectacular. The drive is very nice going and coming to this area. I think people can , should and do appreciate this. Tour boats from Halifax or Lunenburg, also have a very nice vantage point to view the "rocks".. I wouldn't discourage anyone visiting here to miss that if possible. Of course we have many other areas of interest and each to their own. I wonder what you might suggest for someone to see on the Lighthouse Route ?

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

O'

And I must say that everyone I have taken to Peggys Cove were impressed with this natural wonder..Not everyone sees that everyday. I wonder just how many photos of that area are around this world..

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Maritime or Fisheries Museum ?

I knew this would happen. AI seem to let my fingers get ahead of my thought process, used to to be that way with my mouth.

Funny you should mention photos. I have one beside my computer of me holding our 3 year old daughter on the rocks. She is now 38 and every time we go back we look for the spot where the picture was taken and have never found it.

My point started out to be, if you had one day, I would forego Peggy's Cove especially the high season. But then I got carried away. My personal feeling is that that the public is being overcharged for services in these areas. Case in point the cafe passing off canned beans. Family and guests in my home are served the real thing. It isn't that hard.

Having a daughter now living in the area, I have learned of the cult of local firehall breakfsts and community teas and suppers. What a way to get out and know the locals.

I find all of Nova Scotia a wonderful place to live. Having spent 40 years with the military and living all over Canada plus time in Germany I have found this to be the place for me.

I find the Annapolis valley a great spot. I can do wine tastings at four wineries, have lobster on the shore in Halls Harbour, tour the gardens of Annapolis Royal and experience the dark history of the Acadian expulsion.

The Eastern Shore is a favourite area. Try www.jeddore.com some of the photos my wife and I took. The 2 ladies looking out to sea are my wife and one of my daughters.

The Preston area was one of the first free black colonies in Norh America and the interpretive centre outside Dartmouth is a must.

A drive along the Lawrencetown road through West Chezzetcook is beautiful and if your lucky you might catch a lobster supper. The one blight is all the tourist signage especially entering Musquodoboit Harbour, a lovely village otherwise.

One can continue on for miles and visit scenic villages and museums ending at the Sherbrooke Heritage village.

Okay I'm going to stop now before I get really involved with the rest of the province and I must apologize to BCborn for taking over your thread.